Guest kccartint

If you have to ask your not ready.  It takes a strong minded and confident person to go out on their own and strangers on a forum can't change that.  Sure it takes balls.  It also takes money and money management.  You can always get a lot of opinions on here.  When making a livelihood risk and decision know one here can help you.  Only give you personal experience and scenarios.  Some which may or may not apply to your personal life, area and experience.  

With that said.  Having your own shop is nice and can be rewarding.  Its also a pain in the ass and can pull you from every limb.  The more successful you are the worst it gets.  You also get to live that business.  Even when you go home.  Sure its rewarding when successful and has freedom and choices you will never get from employment work.  You just have to work 3 times as hard.  Make sure your ready cause its not just a employment change.  Its a lifestyle change.

Know your market and competition before taking that leap.  If you are making more doing side work than what you are being paid, take 70% away from that, and if you still are making more than what you are being paid working for someone else, then you can do it, and grow from there.  You don't want to be a "craigslist" tinter.  

When I did it, I knew what my boss spent in overhead, and ran numbers all the time.  Its nice to have a dedicated shop, but not required.  There are plenty that are mobile whom are professional in their service, as well as some that do it from home, and they do it that way to keep the overhead low.

Put a plan in place.  You will know when its time to leap.  Start putting together a budget.  As far as what to charge, there is never a good reason to charge less than your current boss or any other competition.  When I started, I had a very small 2 car garage shop @ $200/month, and a plethora of contacts.  Today, I no longer offer auto tinting.  Goals change...flat glass is where the real $$$ is.  I operate from home.

Mate, I have been running my own car detailing Business for 5 years now,

I do some tinting myself, but have just signed on a new guy who can really tint well.

He was looking for some extra bucks.

He found me on Google.
So, maybe if you tee up with a Car Detailer like me, who does paint protection and offers new car package deals! - you may pick up extra work by asking them if they can hire you part time.

My new guy will now be used by 3 Car Detailers now, he's gonna end up making more money than me  :eyebrows

Your work looks impressive. :cool 

I've learned to do in business what feels right to me, not someone else.

Good luck

Lol.....

Doesn't take you boys long does it?

Girls school fox?

That would of actually been great.....

The school I went to don't exist anymore, they were going to sell it to an animal shelter but they said it wasn't good enough for their standards.....

It's now abandoned....

And now I'm a window tinter

Women's intuition :lol6

:whisper ....a new fragrance for men.

That was actually pretty funny

:blink >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :lol  :lol  :lol  35, not sure if you meant that humor , I was laughing . but I think a lot of us came from one of those schools, and look we're all tinters. :D

If you can make a decent living where you are, stay for awhile longer , make your boss successful and you will be too. Along the way you can be making plans to go it alone but have some money set aside when you do.. Hard to tell what your situation is at your job, like what would your boss say if you got some jobs on your own and did them after working for him? If you open on your own plan on working over and double time for a while. 

Archived