soap n water VS soap n gel

Gel is always great on larger installations as it keeps your material floating better to increase your working time without always having to lift and add additional solution.  I like to use Gel as a base layer on a full hood and then add my soap and water solution if needed.  3M just launched their Gel Part# 38590 and Sharpline and XPEL offer their own versions.  Sharpline comes in a concentrate so you need to mix it. 

If you just use soap and water then I would just tell you to increase your soap content a bit to help and buy some extra time for larger areas.

Thank you,

Todd Bergman

Interwest Distribution

We use the Xpel Gel 2.0 for every install. When doing full hoods we spray a base layer of gel the lay my film over it. Once the film is laying on the gel we lift one side of the hood and spray the adhesive with gel then do the same to the other side of the hood. Then we grab the soap/water bottle, lift the film and spray over top of the gel. The way I understand the difference between the two slip solutions is the gel is more of a physical slip as the soap is more chemical slip solution. This may or may not be true, but this is the only time we use soap/water slip solution.

Archived