Johnson Films, New Adhesive, Orange Peel

We are curious if any of you have noticed a smearing effect while trying to position the film and white streaks under the film after applictaion? If you've experienced this did you leave the film on and did it dry out clear? If we use more baby shampoo it doesn't set well. Also, we have seen several rolls with an orange peel look right off the roll. We installed one door window with it and it dried looking the same way. We mostly use Marathon 30% so that's what we are seeing with this new adhesive. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

We are curious if any of you have noticed a smearing effect while trying to position the film and white streaks under the film after applictaion? If you've experienced this did you leave the film on and did it dry out clear? If we use more baby shampoo it doesn't set well. Also, we have seen several rolls with an orange peel look right off the roll. We installed one door window with it and it dried looking the same way. We mostly use Marathon 30% so that's what we are seeing with this new adhesive. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi TintLady, :thumb

Just curious as to how you know that JWF has changed their adhesive?

How long have you been using that particular film?

It is a change that you have just noticed?

All the best.

As far as the adhesive smearing I would suspect that you don't have enough soap in your solution and maybe the window and the film isn't drenched completely. That's my experience with Johnson IR70, it seems to like being extra soapy and wet. 

The orange peel may have come from the roll being kinda old, it usually dries out.

Hi TintLady, :thumb

Just curious as to how you know that JWF has changed their adhesive?

How long have you been using that particular film?

It is a change that you have just noticed?

All the best.

Thanks for responding. I've been using JWF for 6 years.

The Marathon 30% is our biggest seller. It has a chemical type smell and white streaks that do dry out. But the smeary look comes from just trying to "set" the film. I use to be able to move the film around a few seconds into place. Now, quite often it will stick quickly in a random spot and leave a smeared look in the adhesive.

It's been the last few months that I noticed those particular things.

The latest problem is that some of the rolls of film we've received looks textured like and orange peel and it drys looking the same way. And we just last week noticed that.

I have noticed some orange peel on a couple rolls of flat glass film from Johnson. The Sunset Bronze 30%. It cleared up when the window fully dried.

We've just found out that it drys like it looks so we've sent back all the rolls that have that look.

As far as the adhesive smearing I would suspect that you don't have enough soap in your solution and maybe the window and the film isn't drenched completely. That's my experience with Johnson IR70, it seems to like being extra soapy and wet. 

The orange peel may have come from the roll being kinda old, it usually dries out.

Thank you.

Archived