Front Windshield DOT MATRIX above RR Mirror: Vinyl or 5% Tint?

I have 3M Crystalline on my front windshield but the dot matrix trapezoid piece above the rear-view mirror is not looking so great - even after 5 weeks.  It's not so bad looking from the outside but noticeable from the inside especially if one is sitting in the passenger seat and glance up.  I've pressed down some of the spaces in between the dot matix and it becomes "white" and have stopped because I don't want to do anything more to create even uglier look.  

1. Is it possible for dealer to cut off this triangle part (it's not big at 12" wide at top tapering down 6" at bottom and 4~5" tall) and install black vinyl in it's place?  I'd rather not have the whole windshield tint removed again.

2. The other solution I thought was maybe he can install a 5% "limo" tint on top of the Crystalline just for that triangle dot matix piece?  That should in effect darken that area to no light visibility and tone down that ugly look.  I'm not sure about this one so I'm throwing it out there to the experts.

3. If going with Vinyl, which brand should I use?  I don't think the dealer even carries vinyl at his shop and asking him to buy a full roll of Dotrix (which is expensive last time I Googled it), I'd rather get something small and get it to him to install.  Problem is I don't know what vinyl is good to use for a glass application and where to get it fairly cheap.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

I have 3M Crystalline on my front windshield but the dot matrix trapezoid piece above the rear-view mirror is not looking so great - even after 5 weeks.  It's not so bad looking from the outside but noticeable from the inside especially if one is sitting in the passenger seat and glance up.  I've pressed down some of the spaces in between the dot matix and it becomes "white" and have stopped because I don't want to do anything more to create even uglier look.  

1. Is it possible for dealer to cut off this triangle part (it's not big at 12" wide at top tapering down 6" at bottom and 4~5" tall) and install black vinyl in it's place?  I'd rather not have the whole windshield tint removed again.

Your installer had  better be good to cut/scrape glue and put vinyl in that spot without messing anything up.  

It will also be tough to get the vinyl cut to match the tint without light gaps.  Other part of that is if you do the vinyl first and try to tint over that it will leave an air(white) line around the dot matrix.  

2. The other solution I thought was maybe he can install a 5% "limo" tint on top of the Crystalline just for that triangle dot matix piece?  That should in effect darken that area to no light visibility and tone down that ugly look.  I'm not sure about this one so I'm throwing it out there to the experts.

If you go over the tint that is there, it will only darken it up.  Not fix the white spots problem. Those spots are from the adhesive or from where the tint can't reach the glass because of the matrix.  Those spots will still be there even with darker tint over it.  

3. If going with Vinyl, which brand should I use?  I don't think the dealer even carries vinyl at his shop and asking him to buy a full roll of Dotrix (which is expensive last time I Googled it), I'd rather get something small and get it to him to install.  Problem is I don't know what vinyl is good to use for a glass application and where to get it fairly cheap.

for what you are wanting to do, almost any type of decent vinyl will work.  I would go by a sign shop and ask if they will sell you just enough to do what you have in mind.   

Hope this helps a little.   Good luck.  :beer 

Being that the film that needs to be cut out is on the dots, there shouldn't be much glue left behind. With a steady hand and patients, the film cut out would make a good template for the installer to go off of to install a piece of black vinyl cut slightly larger to cover the area of concern without a light gap. Just don't expect it to be done for free. 

Being that the film that needs to be cut out is on the dots, there shouldn't be much glue left behind. With a steady hand and patients, the film cut out would make a good template for the installer to go off of to install a piece of black vinyl cut slightly larger to cover the area of concern without a light gap. Just don't expect it to be done for free.

Ack that. Good tip having the vinyl cut slightly larger than the area.  Thank you Ocala.  

for what you are wanting to do, almost any type of decent vinyl will work.  I would go by a sign shop and ask if they will sell you just enough to do what you have in mind.   

Hope this helps a little.   Good luck.   :beer

Thanks, I appreciated the tips Bham.  I'll go to a shop with a plotter to cut out the dimension for my area so the cut will be precise.  

No problem.  :thumb   And Ocala's right on the money with what he said about using the piece your installer removes as a pattern for the vinyl.  Get enough vinyl to do at least 2 pieces, just to be safe.  

Thanks, I appreciated the tips Bham.  I'll go to a shop with a plotter to cut out the dimension for my area so the cut will be precise.  

I don't think you are going to find a shop that will have exact dimensions of the vinyl you will need cut to fit that area. Are you going to try this yourself or ask the original installer to do it? 

I don't think you are going to find a shop that will have exact dimensions of the vinyl you will need cut to fit that area. Are you going to try this yourself or ask the original installer to do it? 

Hadn't thought of that.  I'll just have the original installer cut it freehand.  I'm sure it's a cake cut for a piece that size and essentially a trapezoid shape for an experienced installer.  I'll get enough for him to cut a couple of pieces as Bham suggested as well.  Thanks guys.

Archived