2015 tint-off competition in Reno, Nevada

congrads on the score,  never been to a competition and always wondered what they were like.  looks like the cars were all nice and clean for all ya, and a 30 min timetable.  not real world i'm sure you'll agree.  so I have been studying your vid for the past week,  yes I am a little OCD and don't have a life LOL  but it what makes me a better tinter by learning from others.  So here are my thoughts.

Blue absorber?  tried a sham wow and it sucked.  synthetic chamois like vescos water sprite is good for lint removal around the vehicle.  how does the absorber work?

I prefer 1.5 inch tape to handle the deeper gaskets blue or red to see the edges and make sure I am in.  after you tape the window,  mist a little water on the tape so it does not peel up when you roll the window up.  helps on the tight ones. 

I never take my film out of the box.  you save film by going straight from box to window.  the angles of the window save you even more.  I think you graced it 4 or 5 inches, adds up on a hundred foot roll.  Why the paint marker?  I typically wedge cut and shift back and forth to hide the edges,  you free hand nice but time is money.  just for kicks,  try shrinking the top once,  you will still get your smiley at the bottom and it lets you know if the edges is down.  can't see under the gasket.  I have tried spray bottles, 3 and 5 gallon tanks but the P2 gives a nice fine mist and can flush with less work on the hand.  instead of mirco fiber, try a miracle, perfect or kaywos cloth.  less lint, rinse and reuse.  no need for lint free towels.  I try to always squegee border to border,  less chance of trash from the turbo.  before you peel and hang, mist the upper gasket.  dry gaskets can release fuzzies, wet will not.  try to spray sideways as you peel, static pulls airborne particles in,  spraying sideways shoots them out.  My rule of thumb is never touch the sticky stuff.  after the film dries,  I can always find a fingerprint or mark if the film was touched.  after you hang a door,  squeegee the water up,  going side to side let the water run down the edge of the window making a chance for a dirt trail near the flip line.  the fushion 5es gives better presure and less fatigue.  longer handle for better reach on BG's  at 14min  you squegeed the bottom,  you bladed it,  just needs a good rinse down and out. exception is on a retint where glue may be present after rolling it up.  the white circle at the end,  that may have been avoided with a good rinse down and out instead of the turbo.  your blue max,  was it grabbing the film?  light scuff on occasion with some 3 or 400 grit helps.  mini-torch or torch lighters.  I always take a gator blade and torch to check cars  outside when down,  10 or20 sec for heat gun to warm up,  2 sec with a torch.  and yes you can use it on laminate glass,  just heat slower compared to tempered.

thank you again for the vid,  obviously I have watched it many times.  and will again many more.  never can learn to much  

Hi Ralph,

It was great seeing you at the Tint-Off and spending some time "catching up".

I watched your installation during the competition and I must say that I was duly impressed.  Your knowledge of this aspect of the business is apparent and I am sure your customers appreciate and benefit from it when they call in for help with a tough back window or a similar situation.

I hope to see you soon and have a great holiday season.

-Howard

Archived