What's a good heat reducing film?

Guest Scotch1

Guest Scotch1

So I got the hint.. (My first post mysteriously disappeared... :spit )

No more mentioning the evil four letter "G" word -- the stuff will go back where they came from. :spit And I'm sorry if I've offended you.

So how about your opinions on the tint options I've come up with?

I want something relatively light (~35%VLT) but with very good optical clarity, heat reducing characteristics, and color stability. Any other characteristic I should look out for? All I want is good solar control with a tiny bit of privacy. So in order of importance : VLT, solar control, optical clarity, color stability.

I've researched several pro films and need some advice on which ones to look for or be weary about. Or simply note if they're all the same and just as good.

1. Llumar - Platinum Plus : 37% VLT (52% Solar Rejection)

2. SolarGard - HP Quantum 19 : 33% VLT (58% SR) (??)

3. Concord - Premium Slate 35% : 35% VLT (48% SR)

4. Madico - Onyx-35 : 32% VLT (49% SR)

5. 3M SRF : ?? VLT

I don't have specs on that 3M SRF film though. If there is another tint around that's worth mentioning, please do. I also don't know the accuracy of the numbers I posted -- I grabbed them from spec sheets I found through Google..

so you can't see a difference in below 3%vlt difference, you can't feel much change in a 5%tser. You need the best melting film for eazy install, you want less than 20% vlr for legal shininess. All metal films have no color to fade and the higher heat reject values of the vast majority of car tint. You probably want to find a good tint stretcher as it will make the install very easy. Am I missing anything?

Guest TINTFXold

you wont get the chance to buy direct from a manufact. , maybe a distributor, but if you do that they'll turn the screws in you so you might as well have it done by someone thst KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

Guest TINTFXold

I edited it, blade, thanks for noticing :spit

and to SCOTCH, mirror tint is for pimple poppers and Dr*g dealers plus its a trashy look. If your into that go for it, but dont get mad when you get laughed at on this board. Thats why your "pro shop" dont use it........... its low grade , trash film

Guest Scotch1
I want something relatively light (~35%VLT) but with very good optical clarity, heat reducing characteristics, and color stability. Any other characteristic I should look out for? All I want is good solar control with a tiny bit of privacy. So in order of importance : VLT, solar control, optical clarity, color stability.

Thanks for the responses so far --

I don't really care if the tint is slightly "mirrored" -- if it's a side-effect of having better heat reduction, I'll live with it.

And yes -- the tint will be done by a pro. I won't bother trying to buy this stuff for DIY. In retrospect, I should have done my research before buying that "G" stuff... :hmmm

So the tint is going on a "Santorin" Blue A4 wagon -- if it helps. I haven't ruled out plain charcoal 35% VLT; it's just that the ones I listed have the best heat reduction I've found. Is there a "non-mirror" tint that would be good at reducing heat @ ~35% VLT?

So what you're saying is that the different tint I've found (in post above) are all "mirror" tint? I have not seen any of these films yet. I was hoping I could get some opinions on them -- are they all the same quality? No preference for one brand over others?

Guest Olfablade

You won't be able to have an all metal film installed on your Audi due to the diversified antennae. If you want a higher reflective film with around 35% vlt, I might suggest the SolarGard Hp Titanium 33. Lifetime warranty, and a shinier exterior appearance than any of the other HP Titanium line. Plus since it is a hybrid film, and not all metal or Aluminum, you should not lose your radio reception. :hmmm

Archived