High absorption rates?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen the same thing. So then what is causing the high incidence of breakage with these films? The SA?

I think so,, basically like a kiln effect. Like when blown glass is formed and put in kiln to cure.,, if it overheats,, it cracks. The SA is overheating the pane after film installation. My :twocents

When it comes down to it. If I follow the Mannys F2G...I hang it. It's warrantable.

People still don't believe me I hang DL05 Grey on LOW E on the #2 surface dual pane annealed.

Not one issue. Even on South or west exposure. Have it on the front of my personal house.

Surface #2 is not an issue... It's installing that film on a window with a coated #3 surface that would be the jaw dropper. :twocents

I've seen the same thing. So then what is causing the high incidence of breakage with these films? The SA?

I think so,, basically like a kiln effect. Like when blown glass is formed and put in kiln to cure.,, if it overheats,, it cracks. The SA is overheating the pane after film installation. My :twocents

I sort of disagree about the overheating part.

If SA where the culprit alone, then why doesn't Sterling 20 crack glass? People will assume it is 37% SA as advertised but that is on 3mm single. On 6mm DP it is actually 55% SA... Yep 55%

If SA where the culprit alone, then why doesn't Sterling 20 crack glass? People will assume it is 37% SA as advertised but that is on 3mm single. On 6mm DP it is actually 55% SA... Yep 55%

So, single pane dissipates heat better(depending on thickness) than dual pane. :chin So , I'm wondering if absorption is not the issue but dissipation or the ability to do so. Perhaps the gaseous space on dual pane also plays a factor with dissipation.

I also believe the Russian roulette relies a lot on a good solid (non nicked) piece of glass. Glass after install, whether tinted or not is a crap shoot, because of the stress being put on it. The bigger the piece, the bigger the risk with the smallest nick or wrong pressure. Tint just makes this works and sets it off. My :twocents

So, single pane dissipates heat better(depending on thickness) than dual pane. :chin So , I'm wondering if absorption is not the issue but dissipation or the ability to do so. Perhaps the gaseous space on dual pane also plays a factor with dissipation.

I also believe the Russian roulette relies a lot on a good solid (non nicked) piece of glass. Glass after install, whether tinted or not is a crap shoot, because of the stress being put on it. The bigger the piece, the bigger the risk with the smallest nick or wrong pressure. Tint just makes this works and sets it off. My :twocents

Convection is probably what accounts for dissipation on SP and thus the lower SA. 

My point is that on DP most films are 50% and higher. They all start to equal out no matter what the VLT and VLR is  (ie. V14,18,28 are all 61-2% SA). So when I hear people say "I never install anything over 50% SA..." I just laugh. They don't realize that they've been probably installing 60%+ for most of their career. :lol

Back to breakage... Yes, SA is part of the equation but the real issue is the stress placed on the glass edge. Stress can increase from SA but glass edges can also be inherently weak due to window size or the condition of the edge itself. Large differences in temperature across the glass surface (+50F difference or >) due to many different factors can place huge stress on the glass edge and that is what causes thermal shock. The film SA is an issue but is it not THE only issue. All of us have been installing high SA material for decades...

Archived