Questions about correcting mistakes in Xpel Ultimate installation

Hi all,

first of all, kudos for the good information that is being exchanged in this forum. It's really helpful for both professionals and amateurs (such as myself).

I'll cut to the chase. For reasons that have mostly to do with the overall cost, I decided to order a pre-cut Xpel Ultimate kit for my car and install it myself.

Even though it's not a 10/10 job, it turned out quite good, especially if you consider the fact that I've never done such a thing before. I do have two issues, though, on the right side of the bumper with one of the film parts. This was probably a result of being tired and frustrated when working the bumper, with all the curves and indents in that area. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the issue right after the installation, but only the next day.

The first issue has to do with dirt being trapped under the film. I have no idea what kind of dirt it is (dust, rocks?), and frankly I could swear there was nothing there when I wiped the baby shampoo off the film after installing. Anyway, I've uploaded a picture for this:

trapped_dirt.jpg

My question is: any chance, trick or technique to remove the dirt (or at least part of it) without having to remove the entire film piece and install a new one? I would consider some mini-puncturing a reasonable compromise, if that could help remove.

About the second issue, I will get back to it later since I don't have a picture to show at the moment.

thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Alex.

And this is how the overall job looks like.

All those white spots and marks are dust and dirt from driving after the installation had been completed, and the car hasn't been washed yet, so they are above the film surface.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can lift the film where the debris is, get the debris out using your finger, and lay it back down.  Just make sure you clean you hands, keep them wet with the solution you are using, and spray the solution under the section of film you are lifting.

Also, the second issue for the same part of the film is that, apparently, the film was moved without me noticing (kind of weird how, since it's only that part) and dirt (from driving around) is stuck to the adhesive at the part that is exposed. Check the picture.

IMG_5395.jpg

I was thinking of maybe cutting this exposed edge with a razor, so that I at least get rid of that dirty part. It's been already 48h since the installation (with a lot of hours of sun exposure), and counting, so I don't know if I can still do the same "lift, spray, clean, apply" trick to sort it out.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I really don't know how I managed to screw up this particular part, since the rest of the car is done nicely. 

Take it off and Do it again and you should be better the next time...That the only way to be good. I did this 4 time before I even got it right with no etching mark...I think it cost me $1100 in material for that panel. I think this is the hardest body part to ppf but got it down. Porsche GT3RS

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2275.JPG

You lift the film you risk leaving a lift line as well. Its hard to see these things when they are wet and your doing it. You have to look from every angle and even then stuff is wet and dark matching the surface. When it dries oh the horror lol. Probably redo time.

@Midtown Houston Yeah that RS rear fender sucks. Rocker and a pillar included its a huge complex fender. I hate the white ones!

yea i have to take my time on that RS fender as well.

The most proper way to fix this issue on the bumper with the dirt under the film is to replace the film. 

The cheap way is to lift, clean and reapply, but there will be a high probability you will see where u lifted it.

If you dont want to waste anymore time  just get a pro do fix it.

Make sure the car is clean before you start, ease the edge of film up nearest the dirt, keeping it and your fingers wet, takes time so put your patient hat on...You will most likely have to lift an area quite a bit larger than where the dust is to give room for your fingers to get in there and help rinse out the debris. As you are doing the final lift try and keep the angle between the film and panel as low as possible and try and gently lift the film almost let the adhesive let go on it's own rather than bully it. Give it a good rinsing with slip then just leave it, have a cup of tea and let the film relax. You have put an extreme amount of stretch in a small area and the film needs time to recover. Finish your tea, re-lift the film but gently this time, just enough to spray the slip in, then gently squeegee towards the edge. Worst case scenario is you have to replace the film so here is where you really learn to install ppf, getting it off the backing sheet and on the car is the easy bit...lol

The second issue will not clean up satisfactorily and needs either replacing or trimming depending on your skill and confidence with a blade, although it looks like it might be on the same panel with the dust inclusion so see how you get on with the dirt first. Good luck. 

Steve

Archived