Questions about correcting mistakes in Xpel Ultimate installation

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, Alex100 said:

I was hoping to exhaust all other options before ending up redoing that part with a new film.

Alex for a first time install you did great. I think everyone should have read your original post a little more thoroughly. You said because of cost you wanted to order a kit... its your car... and this is your first install. The little bit of dirt could have easily been cleaned out. Use soap and water when you lift to clean and your alcohol and water mix to re tack it. The area that's over hanging can easily be trimmed... just be careful not to cut all the way through the material. Hopefully you got this taken care of by now and are happy with it. Just hate to see you replace it as others suggested because its your car and that is your first install. You have to determine what your happy with. But being that its your first install GREAT JOB.

If you don't use this technique or don't know about it, I am about to make your day.  All that is required is HOT water,  not hot like out of the sink but really hot water,  next to boiling and some baby shampoo.  I usually mix about 1/2 a spray bottle at the time.  HOT water and 4-5 good size drops of baby shampoo.  Basically double up on your soap.  

Start out by spraying the edge of the area that you are going to lift.  I use a chop stick whittled into a chisel to help lift the shield without damage.  While lifting the ppf, spray the HOT water/soap mixture under the PPF while lifting it.  You will also need to spray the top of the ppf also where you will be lifting it.  Lift the shield as far back as you need to using this technique.  get your contaminate out, then keep pumping the hot water solution under the lifted PPF.  Next, let it sit.  This the key,  After 4-5 minutes,  I spray the water/ soap solution one last time under the PPF then squeegee it down.  No lift line.  Good luck and enjoy.  

The best way to lift semi or fully cured ppf is with a steamer or rednecks idea with hot water will work too. Chances are you don't have one though as a DIY guy. With the contamination being so close to a body line and the edge of the film it's not too hard or destructive to try. However with it being white contamination so close to a body line its most likely wax or some type of polishing compound. This stuff doesnt so much pick out of the film as it just sort of smears into the adhesive of the film when you try and remove it. And since its a black car your peel back mark will be much more obvious. Since it's so small and toward the bottom half of your bumper I wouldn't even bother it. If a few white specks are the only issue on the install I'd say job well done for not having any experience with installation. 

Thanks for the kind words and excellent suggestions guys. I have decided to not bother with the white dirt on the low edge of the bumper, it's very small and it's not worth risking the texture and structure of the film just for that. About the flapping part, I managed to trim a part of it. It's not perfect, but much better than before.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the end result. It looks good, and it was a valuable experience that has prepared me for a better installation on my next car (whenever that happens).

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, Alex100 said:

Thanks for the kind words and excellent suggestions guys. I have decided to not bother with the white dirt on the low edge of the bumper, it's very small and it's not worth risking the texture and structure of the film just for that. About the flapping part, I managed to trim a part of it. It's not perfect, but much better than before.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the end result. It looks good, and it was a valuable experience that has prepared me for a better installation on my next car (whenever that happens).

Hey Alex. If you ever need any help or pointers I am in Dallas also and will be happy to help you out. Just PM me on here.

Archived