A reasonable plan for an amateur?

Guest buddym

Guest buddym

In soliciting advise from you guys, let me first say, I enjoy reading all the posts and have a lot of respect for anyone who is good at what they do( well, except terrorists, Oprah...). In trying to tint my windows, I AM NOT trying to take bread from anyone's mouth, or denigrate the work of professionals. I doing it 1) because I like to do stuff like this and 2) its more convenient than finding a place nearby with the tint I want.( Auto tinting has really dried up in the 15+ years since Illinois adopted it's current idiotic laws).

Anyway- I intend to tint the front rolldown windows of a Honda Odyssey with Quantum( a nice match with the factory tint on other windows). After reading posts here, I'll probably take the windows out to tint them(I'm going to be taking the door panels off to do some sound-deadening anyway). I'll use use distilled water w/ baby shampoo. Once the film is positioned I'll use a scalpel blade to trim it to the lowest part of the rolled edge (I'd rather not see untinted glass when rolled down partially. After a day I'll reinstall the glass.

1) How long after positioning the film should I wait before trying to trim?

2) Would I be better off trimming it back/shaving it with a file?

3) Is trimming up to the edge an invitation to later peeling?

4) Any tips on drying for speed,strength etc ( laying glass in sun?)

Now, if this doesn't sound insane so far, can anyone recommend anything else?

Thanks for any and all help!

PS- this is not my very first tint job- I've done flat glass, and a couple cars a long time ago with Gila-junk. So I'm nearly a complete amateur.

Guest Johnny5104

in reference to his first question do you guys trim in on the outside first and then just place on the inside...or do you guys do something else?

Guest DontWorryItWillDry

Hey Bud,

I don't think you need to go as far as pulling the window off the door. there are tricks that some of the auto tinters will tell you. Watch this thread throughout the day and weekend and you'll get the right advice. Welcome to the boards.

Guest thetintshop

I promised I'd try and be nicer to the newbie questions, so here goes.

first, don't take the windows out. alot of uneccessary work and the job won't be any better anyway. (sorry, it just slipped)

second, don't try and get it at the very top of the glass, you won't be able to with a scalpel anyway. plus, you ain't gonna be that good your first time. (damn, I swear I'm trying)

third, you trim it before putting it on the glass.

and fourth, my advice, if you just have to do it yourself, don't expect it to look like a professional did it. because it won't. it will look like you did it yourself with a hacksaw and muddy water. (sorry guys, I tried, it's just not in me to be nice. too hard to be honest and nice at the same time)

Auto tinting has really dried up in the 15+ years since Illinois adopted it's current idiotic laws). 

We've always had those laws, and it makes it a pretty rough go up here for sure, but there are a few good tint shops around, they aren't cheap though. The cheap dudes never make it through winter, same story every year. If you tint it yourself, your best off to read the hell out of TD's main page, it's all there. Good luck.

Archived