Audi A3

Guest naughtydog

Guest Dr.Window

I just take the rubbers out and them put them back on after 10 minutes or so!

My advice is start from the front ones and wen you finished the all car just put them back on!

easy as pie..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dr.Window

As naughty said, take the screw out and pull just the corners out, not all of the moulding rubber.

Resuming, top left and rigth corners came out and you get a leap that you can use to get film behind rubbers.

Wen I get one again I'll take pics to show you!

Guest tint325i

for those who want to remove front glass from mk1 A3- remove door trim as normal, you'll see 4 big torx bolts holdind black frame into door remove these and disconnect wiring, entire frame now lifts out and glass is screwed in fom the front, simple remove, tint and re-fit much easier than is sounds dont be afraid!!! same applies for early A4s

rear side can be removed 2 but you dont really need to, it involves removing trim by seatbelt, drilling out 3 rivets down door seal line then another 2 once black metal trim is removed, then 2 10mm nuts in inside and a small torx screw at rear on the opener, not really required but I removed them on mine when it was getting painted

Guest naughtydog
for those who want to remove front glass from mk1 A3- remove door trim as normal, you'll see 4 big torx bolts holdind black frame into door remove these and disconnect wiring, entire frame now lifts out and glass is screwed in fom the front, simple remove, tint and re-fit much easier than is sounds dont be afraid!!! same applies for early A4s

rear side can be removed 2 but you dont really need to, it involves removing trim by seatbelt, drilling out 3 rivets down door seal line tnen another 2 once black metal trom is removed, then 2 10mm nuts in inside and a small torx screw at rear on the opener, not really required but I removed them on mine when it was getting painted

I worked at an audi dealer for 10 years and did all the glass replacement. I have removed load of those door frames on the audi 80's and 100's, it looks scary but is straight forward but I think it's a little OTT to tint a window. I dont see many of these old A3's now.

Does it still have a clip holding the glass to the regulator?

Guest tint325i

hi nick, no its a little torx screw, I know what you mean by ott but some people may do that window 2 or 2 times before getting ot right, by that time I've had the glass out, tinted and re-fitted with guaranteed no light gaps or contamination, and have only used 1 window worth of film and not 3!! its just the way I like to do things, an extra 5 mins to whip the glass out makes all the difference, plus the one I'm talking about is my own car!!! so its got to be right!

Guest tint51
hi just thought I`d give an update on this one, I took the door panels right off, (2 screws either side at top of panel, remove insert in grab handle held on with 1 screw then 2 more under this then just lift!)

When the panel is removed, slide film up to tight seal, and use a bone tool to lift that seal so the film slides under and will slide to edge of glass. Without removing panels you cant get the bone under the part of seal that is below the doorline!

hope this helps anyone out.

What's a Bone tool??

Guest naughtydog
hi nick, no its a little torx screw, I know what you mean by ott but some people may do that window 2 or 2 times before getting ot right, by that time I've had the glass out, tinted and re-fitted with guaranteed no light gaps or contamination, and have only used 1 window worth of film and not 3!! its just the way I like to do things, an extra 5 mins to whip the glass out makes all the difference, plus the one I'm talking about is my own car!!! so its got to be right!

Good on yer!

Archived