70% XPEL XR PLUS installed on windshield.

Just had this done a couple of days ago, and parked the car in the garage as soon as I got home to sit a few days while it cures. Set it and forget it so no chances of ruining the other freshly tinted windows down.😎 Anyway, my installer is closed today, and tomorrow, and I had a question. When I dropped my car off, I had a suction cup style phone mount(that I freaking love) installed on my non tinted windshield in the lower left corner right above my new inspection sticker which he was able to salvage💪🏻, and next to my steering wheel at about eye level. I forgot all about it until today because my installer pulled it off before he tinted my windshield, and threw it in my hatch area.

Since I have a lifetime warranty on the tint, I just wanted to make sure that I’m good to go, and continue using suction cup style mounts on my windshield even though it’s now tinted. From talking to other people I know who have put suction cup style mounts on their tint through the years including cameras, phones, and radar on both the windshield, and rear windows they say as long as I don’t place the suction cup on the edge of the tint where it ends I should be fine after it cures for a week from their experience, and what they’ve been told. What say you guys? 

Edited by WHOADY

Do not use suction cup mounts on tint 👍 I wouldn't stick anything to it for that matter. But suction cups are a no no. And if you did use it, and it did harm the tint- the manufacturer (and likely installer for that matter) would not warranty it. That would fall into a you hurting it type of category. Good save asking before doing it though! Enjoy the new tint, thats a super nice film.

Thank you for the information buddy. I really appreciate it. Sucks because I had just bought a really expensive and nice mount. Now I have to figure something else out. Oh well, such is life. Thanks again. Good bless. 

On 6/5/2022 at 3:16 PM, WHOADY said:

Just had this done a couple of days ago, and parked the car in the garage as soon as I got home to sit a few days while it cures. Set it and forget it so no chances of ruining the other freshly tinted windows down.😎 Anyway, my installer is closed today, and tomorrow, and I had a question. When I dropped my car off, I had a suction cup style phone mount(that I freaking love) installed on my non tinted windshield in the lower left corner right above my new inspection sticker which he was able to salvage💪🏻, and next to my steering wheel at about eye level. I forgot all about it until today because my installer pulled it off before he tinted my windshield, and threw it in my hatch area.

Since I have a lifetime warranty on the tint, I just wanted to make sure that I’m good to go, and continue using suction cup style mounts on my windshield even though it’s now tinted. From talking to other people I know who have put suction cup style mounts on their tint through the years including cameras, phones, and radar on both the windshield, and rear windows they say as long as I don’t place the suction cup on the edge of the tint where it ends I should be fine after it cures for a week from their experience, and what they’ve been told. What say you guys? 

My professional opinion (and I do tons of windshields at the shop; many of my customers have suction cup mounts,  security cameras, phone cradles etc) is give it about a week just to be sure & you can put whatever you want on the film - it becomes part of the glass.  Suction cups are not a problem. I have a big phone cradle attached to my windshield with air 80 and I use it all the time. Only time I saw a problem was a customer came back and swore he had waited a week but you could see where the suction cup had attached to the film and then the tint was off and I knew he is only waited less than a day. I went ahead and redid the windshield for him since it was an isolated case. Then he was well satisfied. Other than that you can put the oil change stickers, SunPasses, parking permit stickers, suction cups, whatever - back on the inside cuz all this is ceramic & the electronic signal will read any highway passes or car wash memberships.