Tint Removal - Percentage of Potential Damage

I've been hemming and hawing at this so dare I ask

I do want to get my front WS retinted

Just the mere idea of the steps involved on removal and cleaning to get a good base for new tint scares the heckuva out me......

And the windshield is on a slope, unlike a door so I presume it's even harder for the installer to manage the whole cleaning process than standing straight on a door.

So let me hear it. Pro's do this everyday and shiiiiiii happens sometimes.

Or no, steam, peel off and there will be minimal to clean = less potential for damage.

I totally forgot when I posted this but that has what I have been telling myself as well - just wait as I will need to get it replaced it at some point.....It's not driven that much though, so it take longer for the inevitable rock to catch up to me

Edited by mobiledynamics

On 7/19/2023 at 8:21 PM, mobiledynamics said:

I totally forgot when I posted this but that has what I have been telling myself as well - just wait as I will need to get it replaced it at some point.....It's not driven that much though, so it take longer for the inevitable rock to catch up to me

Yeah, try driving behind more big trucks. Or, park under a black walnut tree hoping one strikes just the right place.

There's also the absorbent rope or twisted towels at the bottom trick to catch moisture, while using the sweating method where there's good chance the film will peel off with adhesive. It IS summertime, right?

Edit: don't use a black bag to do the sweat method lest you really do want to crack it. Opaque or white will do.

Edited by Tintguy1980

Not planning to DIY removal ....and I do have steamer on deck.

And I can take my time ....versus a pro on the clock.....efficiency/productivity of speed.

Not sure my tint shop would like that though........kinda like bringing you own steak to a restaurant and just having them cook it.

Just looking at the small recess - rake where the dashboard/windshield meets.....I'm not too crazed even with a soak rope, and towels on the dash....and the involvement of what's needed to clean it before re-tint.

Guess I'll just have to wait it out

Windshields are always a risk, especially removals. That's why everyone charges so much for them. 

Why not work a labor trade for services at a local tint shop? You might be able to get them to send more work your way afterwards. Or even better, leave them some margin on your pricing to sell your services as an add on for their customers. They might be turning work down that they don't want to service in house. :twocents