Pre-Cutting the width on FG Film

I have been on here a couple of years and have never offered a good tip...Well here is something I do and seems to make it easier to get the film width cut faster.

When I have to pre-cut, I just pre-cut the lengths of each piece that I need. Roll the film up with liner on the inside, tape to hold its roll, and take all the rolls to the job site. When your ready to hang each piece, just simply lay the roll next to the pane and cut the rough width by taking a pair of heavy duty scissors (olfa) and cut the roll to the desired width (about 1" wider than the pane). I prefer to keep the factory edge on the right side because I prefer to trim the left edge once its on the glass. Once it is cut it is ready to reverse roll on the glass. This may sound like common sense but, its the only thing I could think of that hasnt been posted before...lol

Guest Bulldog
I have been on here a couple of years and have never offered a good tip...Well here is something I do and seems to make it easier to get the film width cut faster.

When I have to pre-cut, I just pre-cut the lengths of each piece that I need. Roll the film up with liner on the inside, tape to hold its roll, and take all the rolls to the job site. When your ready to hang each piece, just simply lay the roll next to the pane and cut the rough width by taking a pair of heavy duty scissors (olfa) and cut the roll to the desired width (about 1" wider than the pane). I prefer to keep the factory edge on the right side because I prefer to trim the left edge once its on the glass. Once it is cut it is ready to reverse roll on the glass. This may sound like common sense but, its the only thing I could think of that hasnt been posted before...lol

What do you do if the custy changes their mind on the film??? :spit

Buy a film handler!

It cuts down on waste a lot as long as you can plan in your head how to cut everything.

ding ding ding we have a winner!! film handler and you can cut exact on site fast.

Olfa scissors=$19.99 and weighs 6oz.

Film Handler=$800.00 and weighs about 80lbs..

I know Film Handlers are great.....just giving a tip to the cheapskates like me.... I plan on buying a FH in the next month or so when my bank roll gets to big for the rubberband....lol

Guest darkdan

Does this only work when you're doing a window roughly the correct width of the roll? Like a 35"x50" window and a 48" roll, so you pull out 48"x50" and cut it down?

Or am I missing something and you can effectively cut down larger rolls?

Maybe this is better than I originally thought if you can.

I will admit it, I tried it once a few weeks ago. I had some scrap that was about 10" too wide to do this window, so I cut it with my scissors.....apparently cheap wal-mart scissors don't work for this tip because it creased pretty badly.

Archived