Carpet Adhesive Roll

Guest Scottsfire

Guest Scottsfire

Here is technique I came up with after another TD user told me I needed to buy Carpet Shield to tuck film behind gaskets, being the newbie I am, I went to Home Depot and asked the salesman for Carpet Shield and the link below is what he sold me and what I bought. I obviously bought the wrong thing. Carpet Shield means different things to people..ha ha... BUT learned I could use this anyway in my installs TOO!

Link to example one

Link to example two

I'm not promoting either of these companies or prices but using as example.

Usage #1: Cover/stick a piece of this adhesive down on the back deck of cars that are tight to get into OR there might be a good chance you could goof/slip and touch the film to the back deck carpet. The adhesive on this carpet plastic is very light, just enough to do the job and not leave residue behind.

Usage #2: Gasket wedge and door protector. Pull the gasket back on high end cars using one of your tools and tuck one end carpet film behind the gasket (like the gasket tape method) pulling the gasket back and sticking it to the top of the door. Pulling tension on the carpet film towards the other end of the window, slide the gasket tool down the horizontal plane of the gasket while tucking the carpet shield down under the gasket. Then pull some tension on the carpet film, being carefull not to pull it hard enough to pull it out, you can now tuck your tint behind it....your adhesive side is stuck to the door isolating possible contaminants and acting as your gasket puller. This protects the door switches, fine leather and apolstry while helping you tuck film. The light adhesive on the carpet film is easily pulled off with no mess.

Usage #3 If you paint, spray or glue dot matrix, cover your possible "drip" area with the carpet film. Yea yea....your careful and don't ever drip, but why take the chance when it only takes to seconds to cut the appropriate length/piece and stick it. This is especially cheap material to use if your a dot matrix "spray painter" like seen in many of Stan Fosters DVD's. Note: The factory edge of this carpet film is stretchy, but if you have a good eye and steady hand you can even use it as tape line at your dot matrix to guide hand painting edges or spray painting edge.

Usage #4: Putting an windshield visor in? Cover/stick a length or piece on the front dash to keep alcohol based cleaning solutions, slip or other...from dripping onto your dashes or instrument panels. Therefore when your done you just roll up and throw away, no detailing the dash and wiping up your install drippings.

Usage #5: Are your pants clean? Before getting in that expensive leather car, stick this stuff to the seats in front. Knees dirty? Cut and stick a strip in the backseat where you typically kneal to instal the back glass film.

Usage #6: Nervous about scratching the car with your apron and tools inside while leaning over the exterior back glass and paint, when shrinking and cutting? Stick some film to the outside on the paint. Again, the light adhesive takes no time to pull off and provides a little extra paint protection.

Disclaimer: Most of you will think the above ideas might be over kill, and I'm sure it is for many but think about some of the high end vehicles you might want the extra protection. But a few of you might find one or two of the uses good to use. Like any tool in our industry, there can be many diverse uses, think outside the box.

Be creative, have fun, life is short so enjoy it to the fullest........

Scotty V

Guest Scottsfire
I like #6, I use 18in. transfer tape when I do convertibles to keep from scratching paint, but for the price I think your idea is more cost effective...:thumb

I am going to HD today! Great tip................where do we vote :dunno

Cheers

Stan

Thanks! Glad it could help, it's pretty nifty stuff!

Guest plasticover

Hey Guys,

Plasticover is another brand of carpet adhesive protection rolls (as well as for other surfaces) that we sell here Carpet Adhesive Roll Plastic as well as nationwide through Grainger, which is your best bet if you want to get it locally.

We love all the uses you guys have come up with and always try to support people who try us and think outside the box. Hopefully this is not too commercial (we didn't see anything in the terms of use on the forum preventing this sort of post and don't want to offend anyone), but we thought we'd post and offer a discount if you want to try ours. We also might do a blog post and link here unless anyone objects.

We set up a discount code of 'tintdude' that will get you 20% off through the end of April. If you have questions or need smaller rolls than what we have on the site, feel free to contact us as we may have some smaller rolls in the warehouse.

Again, we dig this post and love seeing people try our types of product in different uses. Thanks in advance to anyone who tries us!

Plasticover

www.plasticover.com

Guest Scottsfire
Hey Guys,

Plasticover is another brand of carpet adhesive protection rolls (as well as for other surfaces) that we sell here Carpet Adhesive Roll Plastic as well as nationwide through Grainger, which is your best bet if you want to get it locally.

We love all the uses you guys have come up with and always try to support people who try us and think outside the box. Hopefully this is not too commercial (we didn't see anything in the terms of use on the forum preventing this sort of post and don't want to offend anyone), but we thought we'd post and offer a discount if you want to try ours. We also might do a blog post and link here unless anyone objects.

We set up a discount code of 'tintdude' that will get you 20% off through the end of April. If you have questions or need smaller rolls than what we have on the site, feel free to contact us as we may have some smaller rolls in the warehouse.

Again, we dig this post and love seeing people try our types of product in different uses. Thanks in advance to anyone who tries us!

Plasticover

www.plasticover.com

Yea and while the rest of you guys get 20% off, I get a free roll and royalties from sales! Just kidding.

Seriously, thanks for the dicount!

Some nice ideas there :dunno

I have another usage for you. The first thing I thought of when I read that was "FLUFFY SEAT COVERS". Anyone who has ever tinted a vehicle with those covers that send loose fibres floating up around you every time you move on the back seat will know what I mean.

Guest Scottsfire
Some nice ideas there :dunno

I have another usage for you. The first thing I thought of when I read that was "FLUFFY SEAT COVERS". Anyone who has ever tinted a vehicle with those covers that send loose fibres floating up around you every time you move on the back seat will know what I mean.

You mean the kind of covers that when you get in the car you actually look for hooves and expect to hear "baaaha ha!". Seen them!

Archived