Guest metint

Two-fisted grip on the heavy-duty squeegee... water on the film only... precut to fit prior to placing on glass...

Who's film?

Two-fisted grip on the heavy-duty squeegee... water on the film only... precut to fit prior to placing on glass...

Who's film?

It didn't matter Metint.

I was more interested in how to handle the guage of the stuff.

You have answered the pre-cutting on the bench as I thought. I presume it is impossible to reverse roll and does it have to be a 2 person fit?

How would you get on with a huge drop say 5' X 6' which could be quite typical of shopfronts?

How long to dry even after using the wooden 2 handed squeegees? Months in full sun?

Thanks for the experience tips.

Devil

Guest metint

Who's film?

It didn't matter Metint.

I was more interested in how to handle the guage of the stuff.

You have answered the pre-cutting on the bench as I thought. I presume it is impossible to reverse roll and does it have to be a 2 person fit?

How would you get on with a huge drop say 5' X 6' which could be quite typical of shopfronts?

How long to dry even after using the wooden 2 handed squeegees? Months in full sun?

Thanks for the experience tips.

Devil

I asked, who's film because I saw another question in SS thread on stats for 3m 14 mil.

Some makes of this thick of film present different install issues from a moisture standpoint. That is why I recommend saturating the adhesive only while working on sun-free glass.

As to the install ?'s...

No reverse roll... or if you like, it is difficult and could lead to missing fingers and blood... 2 man is much safer bet.

I would say the wooden handle squeegee is the worst for removing solution... I conducted a test about 3-4 years back and found this to be so... if it's all you have go with it, just push like you want to flatten the glass even more (and don't go through the glass). A handled squeegee like the one pictured below would serve you better, especially when inserting a small extension (e.g. cut off broom stick).

Handling large pieces is a trick... I have witnessed a method where one installer holds the film piece looped in two halves much like a horse shoe or upside down 'U'. He holds on at the sides while the other installer removes the liner from inside this upside down 'U' beginning where it bends and spraying the film's adhesive as the liner simultaneously pulls away from opposite sides (halves). Halfway through liner removal your draped film piece and liner will look as though it were to legs with one's shorts pulled to their knees. It is an interesting way of handling liner removal, but it does better protect the adhesive from airborne debris and will require a keen eye while the liner comes away (wouldn't want the two sides sticking together now would we). Keep the adhesive wet and the two sides seperated while pulling the liner from the film. Once the liner is removed both installers lift the film piece into place. I have a picture of this... just no here at home.

Dry time varies... I assume it is clear SS film... this should take no longer than 60 days to dry if properly and effectively squeegee'd.

Good luck... :bingo

Leo, if your looking for thick film bragging rights, Suntek had a 21 mil :tantrum

21???? :tantrum Never heard about.... We just created 16 mil - and I think NOBODY NEED IT :tantrum

On my mind - 10 mil + 4 mil from outside - best decision.

12, 14, 15, 16 and 21 (???) - are not so elastic, don't allow to glass go back and it breaks easier... This if from my experience, we make lot of tests and lot of tests in real shops etc... 10 mil was QUITE GOOD!!! If from outside will be 4 mil - which not allow splinters to fall from 10 mil window film - I think it is best decision. I know You all are afraid from outside installations - I am not :tantrum

Archived