What do the colors mean?

Hi, I'm a beginner and I just tinted my first car (97 Prelude) minus the back window (I ran out of tint).

I'm confused with all the colors the squeegee's and other tools come in. There is no description like how hard or soft the material is. So I was scared to use them on the tint when I install it on the inside.

The current tools I am using is a NT red dot cutter, 4" blue turbo squeegee, and 6" white with black edge. The black edge is rubber and what I use on the actual tint because I know it is safe. The blue squeegee is what I use on the outside of the window. The material seems hard to me. I also have a black teflon card which I have not put to use yet. You can check on 44tools.com if you want a picture of what I have.

I'm sure the bondo cards are used only on the outside of the window when you're cutting the tint because they are really hard. How about those teflon cards and all those other odd shaped/named tools on the other pages of 44tools.

When tinting the Prelude or most Honda/Acura I noticed it was hard to smooth out the tint on the edge of the window because it is obstructed by the black insulation. What tools do you recommend for that?

I purchased my tint from autowindowtinting.com and I think they gave me 2 different brands of tint. I noticed that the 20" tint was easier to smooth out the fingers with the heat gun. You will see the fingers start to shrink immediately. For the 40" tint the fingers did not show any shrinking. In fact the fingers got longer when heat was added. So I keep using the heat gun and it keeps getting worse. Is it the tint or just the way I squeegee the tint to get the fingers?

Where do most people buy their tools and tint? Are my two sources okay?

Sorry for all the questions :hmmm and the long post, but I'm new and I need answers from you experts out there. :hmmm

Thanks.

most pro`s get their film from a film distributor. you pick a film you want to use like llumar or 3m or whatever and look on the internet and find the distributor in your area and set up a account. film distributors carry all the tools also.

a place like 44tools.com or filmhandler.com are excellent sources for tools that the pros use and DIY`er can get ahold of.

for hand held squeeges the black is the softest, the yellow is slightly stiffer, the red is slightly stiffer than the yellow and the blue is stiffer than the red. I use the yellow and red squeege for cleaning the window and squeeging the film.

you buy the squeege material in a long length and then cut it the way you want it.

as far as bondo squeeges and hardcards. just get yourself a white teflon hardcard and a gold hardcard. dont mess with all that other crap. alot of those different colored things are useless.

When tinting the Prelude or most Honda/Acura I noticed it was hard to smooth out the tint on the edge of the window because it is obstructed by the black insulation. What tools do you recommend for that?

get a white teflon hard card and cut it in half at a angle, what you get is a triangular piece that youi can use to get into hard to reach areas.

here are the tools I use day in and day out for tinting cars.

first get one of these squeeges and cut it to the size you like, use this squeege to squeege the glass clean and sto squeege the solution out of the film.

next get a GOLD hard card, these things last forever. use this hardcard with a paper towell wrapped around it to get "FINGERS" down on the bottom of the glass or whereever they pop up. ALWAYS wrap a paper towel around these plastic tools or they will scratch the dog svit out of the tint.

get a white teflon hard card and cut it in half at a angle, what you get is a triangular piece that youi can use to get into hard to reach areas.

Good one Mdog. I haven't seen anyone else that does that. I've been doing it for about a year now. I started out a long time ago doing that to me chisel'r when they got in bad shape. Then went looking for something to do with my white cards after they were used up.

As for the yellow squeegees. I cut them down, don't use the white tube for a handle. I take the two grooves it would slide into and trip the edges of the groove so they don't irritate my fingertips as much. Smooth them down. Still get the same pressure to the glass before the Blue Max without tearing up the meat in your 'tips. :rollin

Archived