best heat rejection tint?

Guest mike_c70

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest metint
BTw, F1 Pinnacle tint: Is that the premier or the ultimate line?

Neither... Pinnacle is a series all its own...

It's a color-stable, dyed product with a non-conductive, infrared-absorbing deposition (material deposited to polyester). :rollin

Guest scotty305

Hi everyone, I'm also in Southern California, and looking to cool my car. I've been to two local shops; When I asked the first shop about Huper Optik, they said it takes too long to dry, and it's mostly for residential use, not good for cars. They recommended the F1 Pinnacle, claiming that the 'light' -color tint has a heat rejection value that is greater than most metallic 'dark' tints. I don't remember the exact numbers, it was either 35% or maybe 50%. Their other options included the Ultimate, which is a metallic film.

The second shop I went to was recommended to me by a couple different friends. This shop carries 3M brands, and they weren't familiar with Huper Optik, and didn't seem impressed by the idea of ceramic tint. They said their 3M tint would be "just as good as the stuff that the shop down the street sells, you won't tell the difference." The heat rejection for the 3M "light" was definitely 18%, I remember this distinctly because it was today. Price for 3M was similar to the first shop's price for F1 Ultimate, maybe slightly lower.

What are your opinions on 3M Scotchtint?

Better yet, I'm willing to visit anyone in the Inland Empire, near San Bernardino and Pomona are the most convenient places to me.

Thanks,

-scott-

Guest asmoran

Okay I hate to necropost, but it's better than starting a new thread on the same topic, right?

Here's the deal. I want as much heat rejection as possible. I searched around on the web and found a tint line I really liked. The HO DREI line. Unfortunately, they (the HO dealer in ATL) don't install it on cars.

So I need an alternative. They recommended a new line by 3m (forget the name) that just came out in April, but I don't know anything about it.

So my question is the same as the OPs: What's the best heat-rejecting tint out there? I want a tint around 30%

I figure this thread has been dead a couple years now, so I'm sure quite a lot has changed.

Guest Soultinter

What these poeple are trying to tell you is that "best" is a relative term, there are several "best " films to choose from, but what you need to know is that the film is only part of the equation, the guy putting it on has a significant impact on the overall outcome of the work. Go see these guys and use your normal consumer perceptions: ie clean shop, good customer service, clean installs etc. :dunno

Guest asmoran

I realize that, but the best installer in the world isn't going to make a film reject more heat that its specs. The installation is a completely seperate issue.

I want to know which automotive film out there currently offers the best heat rejection at around 30%. Legal here is 32%, so I want to stay close to that.

Guest darkdan

That'd be the 3M Black Chrome. It's a full metal film.

If you don't mind the high reflectivity of a full metal film it's the way to go.

35% VLT and 57% TSER and .50 Shading Coefficient.

blackgtp.jpg

To give you something to compare it to the 3M Tint-FX HP 35% has a TSER of 42% and a shading coefficient of 0.67

Will either make a huge difference in your comfort while you're driving? Yes. Will either make a difference while your car is parked? Nope.

Guest asmoran

Thanks Dan. That's what I wanted to know.

Do you have any pics of the metal film compared to something more conventional? I'm just curious how reflective it is. My car's a metallic grey and I'm hoping it won't look bad.

Also, I realize it won't do any good while parked. I drive a Mazda RX-8, which puts out enough heat through the center console to fry an egg. Added to the heat coming in the windows, the AC needs to be blowing almost full force to keep the car cool.

I'm working on insulating the console, but that's gonna be a lot of work and $$, so I figured I'd get the windows done first.

Anyone else have any other comparable suggestions to the 3M Black Chrome?

Guest darkdan

Funny you should mention that.

Here's a RX-8 done in Global QDP that my brother tinted. He lives in Atlanta:

rx8.jpg

It's a NR film (non-reflective).

Archived