New Hawaii rules

Guest metint
yea NC I disagree also.

In your example it iis like saying that the maunufactures should be fined for making it. Just as them making a fast car. Not the perosn that knowing breaks tha law is who should be fined. IE the shop for knowing the law, as it is part of their duty, and the shops responsiblty to enform all customers who seek illegal jobs.

it starts and ends with the shops. Let a hack shop get a $1000 fine for a $99 tint job, they will quit and we the professinals won't have to fight to maks sure we don't end up like our counterparts in the UK.

Limo tint was and still is made for what... a limo, not the family car. Who's really the bad guy... no one in particular... everyone has some responsibility in what direction the industry takes.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally disagree with the shops being fined. I can install glass-pack mufflers, or a myriad of other illegal automotive components and not worry about being fined, why only tint?

I don't condone illegal tinting, but I don't agree with the shop penalties either. It is still the choice of the car owner as to what shade they want.

Typical Newbie responses. I think the shop should be fined installing illegal tint. I think muffler shops should be fined for installing glass packs. It is all in how it's used. Glass packs can't be controlled. Tint can't be controlled. Speed in a car CAN be controlled. Oversized tires and an illegally oversized truck can't be controlled. If you are doing a job that can't be controlled, you are doing something illegal. If you want to check in the laws, I would be willing to bet that it states somewhere that it's illegal to INSTALL or USE the items mentioned above.

Guest S and S
I did not read all the comments on this thread, I just get pissed when ever I hear about fining the tint shop.

If the owner knows it aint supposed to be that dark then it is not the shops fault.

For shop owners I suggest comming up with a disclaimer - customer has been advised of state law, wants work done, shop not liable. Words that effect. Singed at the bottum, copy to shop copy to owner.

Examples - its the gun manufactorers fault some kid got blown away, not the parents or bad guys.

I still have not seen the car manufacturers get the blame for building cars that go to fast!!!!!! :thumb

You dont want know what Washington, D.C. has in store for its motor vehicles that violate tint law, second offense $500, third $1000. They dont say what the 4th time will get ya, probably another grand.

If the SHOP OWNER knows its illegal, and they do it anyway, they should NOT get fined?? Did I read that right??? :what So if a surgeon knows your blood type is A+ and they give you B- then your family should not sue them for killing you??? :hmmm

Guest BCCwintint

I agree with S&S. The tint shop that installs illegally is also breaking the law, not just the consumer. Using ncinerator's example, if a gun shop sells a Smith & Wesson .45 ACP pistol to one who doesn't pass the state background check, I.e. a convicted felon, then they're also criminally liable if the felon goes on a shooting rampage, right? The gun shop can't have the felon sign a waiver that says they are absolved from responsibility if the undersigned gets caught with that firearm he ain't supposed to have. It's not Smith & Wesson's fault. It's the gun shop and they lose their license to sell firearms, right?

Seems to me it's the same thing with tint shops. They can say no to illegal tint, just like the gun merchant can say no to selling guns to felons.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Hope I didn't stir up a hornet's nest. :thumb

Guest ncinirator
a surgeon knows your blood type is A+ and they give you B- then your family should not sue them for killing you???

Cannot use the doctor comparison. Asking for illeleag tint, and asking a doctor to K1ll you are two different things unless you want to argue that point with Dr. Kevorikian :thumb

I guess we can make good points of how it is fair and not fair for shops to tint illegaly. Keep this is mind, if the government should step in to fine shop owners for tinting illegally then what are the cops supposed to do-

Do stings on shops, that means random inspections by cops. They would just come walking in SURPRISE we have to inspect whats going on here, lets see these cars yawl are doing, Oh wait gotta check that inventory to make sure you are not in possesion of dark tint.

How fun would that be, and how condusive would that be for business?

So many points, but I`m sticking to my guns here. Tint shops that tint to dark do it at the owners request. It is on the owner, as long as they know and understand the penalties.

Last point- Before I was a cop I got my windows tinted 5%. The guy warned me of what could happen. I had it done anyway. Sure enough 2 years later I let pops use my ride and he gets stopped by a yocal local PD, and issued a inspection order to have the tint removed and inspected by the MVA. Did I complain? Nope. Becuase I understood that the @#$% was ilegal and that I could be caught. After taking the crap off I went right back to the guy and had 5% put right back on again.

Richat said this can not be controlled. Wrong. It can. The goverment, local, state, and federal COULD EASILY make all aftermarket film illegal. Nothing on the doors, nothing anywhere else that isn't factory. So don't tell me it can't be controlled. Ask the tinters in states where tinting the front doors is illegal, if film laws are being controlled. Maybe the doctor/blood analogy was a little off by comparison. How about this: a co-op (farmer's general store) sells 5 gallons of anhydrous ammonia to someone they KNOW is not a farmer. They tell them of the dangers and risks of the stuff. That buyer then cooks up a butt-load of m*th and passes it on to some kids at the high school, or a buddy of yours. What if while cooking it at his house, he causes an explosion that levels the neighboring 2 houses? The co-op that sold it to him KNEW he was not going to use it for it's intended purpose. Are they partly liable? If they sold it to him and his dad was the farmer, it was sold in good faith. By the way, a farmer buys a heckuva lot more than 5 gallons at a time.

What about the 7-Eleven that sells a guy 10 boxes of Sudafed, or some other cold medicine that contains ephedrine. The guys isn't stocking up for cold and flu season.

As for ncinirator's cop-inspecting-the-shop scenario, you can not be fined or repremanded for being in the possession of 5% film still in the box, on the roll. Can you be in trouble for an unopened 6 pack in the trunk? Of course not. If the cops want to stop cars as soon as they leave the premises, more power to them. Around here, we have enough other crime going on that tint laws are not enforced.

I could give example after example, but this could easily be one of those neverending threads. I say it dies now.

Guest ncinirator

This is the killer-

I see the farmer thing, and 7-11 thing, cant K1ll no one with 5% tint in the shop. Shoudnt be illegal to tint a car, but to operate with tint is another story.

Last line- In DC it is illegal to use a radar detector. Having it in the trunk is another story. SOooooo it is not illegal to sell a radar detector, get it?

I know where you stand, you know where I stand and I respect your position and ideals sir. :rollin

Guest socalman

WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING ON THEIR HIGH HORSE AND SAYING

"IT'S WRONG TO TINT ILLEGAL." THATS BS. A CUSTOMER COMES INTO

THE SHOP AND SAYS HERE IS WHAT I WANT. BY THE WAY OUR SHOP

IS A PRIVATE PROPERTY, NOT A PUBLIC ROAD. SO ITS JUST LIKE AN OFF ROAD

SHOP.. THE SHOP INSTALLS THIS LIFT KIT THAT IF ON THE PUBLIC STREETS

CAN GET YOU PULLED OVER..

WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE TRYING TO CONTROL WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS.

SOUNDS LIKE TO ME, THAT ALL THE PEOPLE BITCHING ABOUT DOING

ILLEGAL WORK ARE THE ONES THAT GOT CAUGHT. WE ARE HERE TO

PROVIDE WINDOW TINTING AND SOLAR CONTROL SERVICES.

WE ARE NOT HERE TO BE GOD AND JUDGE PEOPLE AND SAY

THAT SHOPS THAT TINT FRONT DOORS ARE HACKS--THATS BS

BOTTOM LINE ----DO WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS AND MAKE THEM

SIGN A WAIVER THAT THIS FILM IS FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY- OR SHOW

CARS THAT ARE TOWED. THIS WOULD PROBALLY WORK.

IN CALIFORNIA WE DONT WORRY ABOUT THIS ANYMORE

WE DO FRONT DOORS AND THATS IT. AN EXTRA 70.00 ISNT BAD X 4CARS PER DAY.

SO BASICALLY ALL STATES ARE DIFFERENT AND DO WHAT YOU THINK

YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH. THIS WAY THE CUSTOMER GETS WHAT HE WANTS.

WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING ON THEIR HIGH HORSE AND SAYING

"IT'S WRONG TO TINT ILLEGAL." THATS BS. A CUSTOMER COMES INTO

THE SHOP AND SAYS HERE IS WHAT I WANT. BY THE WAY OUR SHOP

IS A PRIVATE PROPERTY, NOT A PUBLIC ROAD. SO ITS JUST LIKE AN OFF ROAD

SHOP.. THE SHOP INSTALLS THIS LIFT KIT THAT IF ON THE PUBLIC STREETS

CAN GET YOU PULLED OVER..

WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE TRYING TO CONTROL WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS.

SOUNDS LIKE TO ME, THAT ALL THE PEOPLE BITCHING ABOUT DOING

ILLEGAL WORK ARE THE ONES THAT GOT CAUGHT. WE ARE HERE TO

PROVIDE WINDOW TINTING AND SOLAR CONTROL SERVICES.

WE ARE NOT HERE TO BE GOD AND JUDGE PEOPLE AND SAY

THAT SHOPS THAT TINT FRONT DOORS ARE HACKS--THATS BS

BOTTOM LINE ----DO WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS AND MAKE THEM

SIGN A WAIVER THAT THIS FILM IS FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY- OR SHOW

CARS THAT ARE TOWED. THIS WOULD PROBALLY WORK.

IN CALIFORNIA WE DONT WORRY ABOUT THIS ANYMORE

WE DO FRONT DOORS AND THATS IT. AN EXTRA 70.00 ISNT BAD X 4CARS PER DAY.

SO BASICALLY ALL STATES ARE DIFFERENT AND DO WHAT YOU THINK

YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH. THIS WAY THE CUSTOMER GETS WHAT HE WANTS.

I think the reason that most of us tint legally and except the state laws is to make sure we have a viable business into the future.

If we go illegal, guess who notices it? The authorities with the clout to wipe all auto tinting out with the stroke of a pen and I bet good sir, you'd be the first one whinging that you haven't got a business in auto tinting anymore.

Devil doing it right! :thumb

Archived