Roof Repair and out side lighting

Guest DentDoctor

Guest DentDoctor

Hello I am a novice PDR tech that has been reading alot of the very helpful info on this post. I have job next week on a late 90's Nissan Altima roof. I am looking on some advice on fast easy access to speed up my repair. Also I don't do very much outside work and it is very cold this time of year. Is using a heat gun on the damaged area advised, and what is the best way to light my reflector board?

Guest Express Dent

First of all. You didnt mention if the Altima had a sunroof. If the answer is no an Altima headliner is an easy pull. If you have a sunroof it becomes a little more difficult but it still is on the easier side. If you are working damage along the outer edges of the roof then just pull the side your working on and use an S hook or a doorhanger for leverage. If you would have to pull the entire headliner for some reason dont get freaked out, it is a very simply job. If your damage is behind the sunroof, open the roof LAY A WINDOW GUARD ON IT and work it like a side panel. Dont get carried away with your pushes, you have very good leverage and strength from this position.

You didnt go into detail about the damage so I will assume its nothing major, I am in Pa and unless it is well below freezing I dont even think about paint issues. I dont know if anyone has ever been able to give a fact based answer as to what temp paint crack becomes an issue. If you are very cold then sure let the car run for a few minutes to heat up inside or use a heatgun (it cant hurt unless you get carried away with the heatgun).

You do not need artificial light when working outside. If it is a sunny day you may want an extra board to shade the area your working.

Guest disgruntled wiz

I have never been a fan of reflector boards, I use a small flourescent light for all repairs. express dents advice about opening the sunroof is right on the money. Take your time and try to work in the shade. I keep a proane torch handy for pushing on hard body lines in this cold weather. It has saved me from cracking paint plenty of times. Lighter colored paint seems to crack easier and look worse once cracked.

Guest disgruntled wiz

TintWizard, sorry for the confusion. I am talking about <edit> . I know that they are always on the lookout for web sites like this. I dont need any more of their bs locally.

Archived