Bubbles along defroster lines?

Guest robnushine
I just had problems with this yesterday.  This is a problem that I see every so often, not dependent on outside temperature (as was suggested to me last week).  I think it is more vehicle specific.  I dry shrank the '02 Intrepid, and had an issue with these on just about every defroster line, both sides.  I just wait it out, heating with the gun on the outside (lightly).

[*]255631

I believe that it really depends on the thickness of the defroster lines.

Lexus and Mercedes have thick defroster lines. I believe that dry-shrinking is the only way to go. :bling

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tintcutter, that's a suggestion that works, but I've read elsewhere on this board that it can cause hotspots when the film is wet, leading to a shattered back glass! Use with caution... :evilgrin

[*]238348

I have seen this happen personally but it wasn't from the demister getting hot rather from the tinter cutting the tint around the demister tabs after instalation. He had accidentally scratched through the conductive paint at the same time. When the demister was turned on you could see sparks arcing across the gap, after only a few seconds there was a red glow and then the screen shattered with a nice pattern radiating from the demister tab that was damaged.

Guest Key West
I sometimes have those bubbles when I wet shrink, but I have never had one after a dry shrink.

Has anyone had them after a dry shrink?

Did a  lexus  wet and had foot balls every where. Tried the defroster thing for about 4 cycles (around 45 minuits) with no luck. I had to rip it off and do a dry shrink. Didnt have one foot ball.

[*]255053

Alot of Mazdas seem to have super thick defogger lines. I guess this allows alot of air to be sucked along the lines. The air bubbles are bad when I wet shrink, and I still get them dry shrinking, tho not so bad. The tip about turning on the defroster, F*** me running! Never thought of that!! Great Tip!! Thanx. I'll use it. :lol2

Every get those annoying puckered bubbles along the rear defroster lines after installing film but you don't want to do so much scrubbing with steel wool or whatever?

This is too simple.  Turn on the defroster and go watch tv.  When it is as hot as it gets rub them down and they stay.

[*]238319

Defroster bubbles come from using too much heat, too fast while shrinking.......slow down a little and that car just sittin there waiting to be finished WILL be after ya lay the film!!!!

Guest Innovative Window Filming
I have seen the horror story thread about the shattered glass after using a defroster on freshly tinted glass...  Still, I have always suggested to my customers to use their defrosters to speed up dry time, and have not had any problems with glass breakage.  Hopefully, things stay that way!

[*]247485

squegee sideways while heating the excess water it will evaporate therefore eliminating water sucking back through the line. that only eliminates the bubbles if you dont make the line smaller the outline bubble will still be there. so I sand w/ 1200 grit it dosent scratch the glass if done properly(wet) be careful lexus/toyota has soft glass

Guest Innovative Window Filming
I sometimes have those bubbles when I wet shrink, but I have never had one after a dry shrink.

Did a  lexus  wet and had foot balls every where. Tried the defroster thing for about 4 cycles (around 45 minuits) with no luck. I had to rip it off and do a dry shrink. Didnt have one foot ball.

[*]255053

you should dry shrink every rear glass because it relieves pressure everywhere and lays even

Guest tint rookie

Did a? lexus? wet and had foot balls every where. Tried the defroster thing for about 4 cycles (around 45 minuits) with no luck. I had to rip it off and do a dry shrink. Didnt have one foot ball.

[*]255053

you should dry shrink every rear glass because it relieves pressure everywhere and lays even

[*]309230

or if you dont know how to efficiently wet shrink.

Archived