contamination....help!

Guest val

being kinda new at this, can some of you more experienced guys and gals give me a few tips on why I get the little white specs on the glass.? the cleaning method I use is razor the glass, use a scrubby, squeegee,clean the seals, sqeegee again, inspect,and install. I have a good clean shop and I still get the damn specs. driving me nuts. any methods to stop this would sure be appriciated. thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Consider all these factors:

1. Find a bug zapper that will work on gnats... and other critters.

2. Minimize the time between peeling the liner and placing the film onto the glass...

3. Do not walk forward with your peeled pattern, step backwards, this way you are not using your peeled film as a catch net for airborne contaminants...

4. Cut a white Teflon into a triangle, wrap it with a micro-fiber cloth, jam it between glass and frame and wipe those crevices (window glass channels) clean...

5. Wipe off the top ledge of the roll down glass...

6. If you use a pressure sprayer with a hose, put an inline gas filter between bottle and trigger...

7. Air handling unit (ac/heat)? Filter at intake and output...

8. Never, never, absolutely never where sweaters when installing film...

9. Rinse your fingers before handling film and rub them together while rinsing...

10. Learn to carry the peeled film without touching adhesive or learn to carry with fingertips, not finger palms...

11. Seal and Enamel the floor, if it is concrete...

12. Cover sheepskin type seat covers with bed sheets...

13. Improve your targeting skills to minimize pattern movement after it hits the glass...

14. Be cautious of your head/hair rubbing headliners when entering a vehicle...

15. Lightly mist cloth seats with application solution prior to sitting or kneeling on them...

16. Always squeegee off your glass board (workstation) before or after each pattern is placed upon it...

17. Tape off all felt?

18. Lightly mist the liner's surface prior to its removal from a film pattern... this helps neutralize any static created as the liner is peeled from the adhesive...

19. Rinse all your tools regularly...

20. How old is the car, the newer it is, the less dirt contamination problems you will have?

21. What kind of sprayer are you using? If it's a pump sprayer, the cylinder starts wearing and will emit tiny particles of plastic in your water. Making it look like dirt specks.

22. The use of the vehicle, if it's one that sees a dirt road every single day, you will have dust problems no matter how old the car is.

23. Do not have fans running in your bay? If so, turn them off, the more still it is, the better chance you'll have of a clean install.

24. Wet the floor before each job, where possible.

25. NEVER sweep your shop out, wash it out. Sweeping sends dust in the air and lands on everything.

26. Clean your shop bay--EVERY SINGLE DAY.

27. There's a reason why a lot of tint bays look "empty", the more stuff you have lying around, the more stuff that collects dust.

28. Don't wear new clothes to work in. (ever see how much lint is in your dryer when you wash new clothes?)

29. Lotion your skin on a daily basis. Your skin flakes regularly, using lotion on your exposed skin areas helps keep flaking at a minimum.

30. Limit the use of hair gel. Some hair gels flake off when dry. A wax stick or hairspray, or wear a clean cap or just shave your head are options to consider.

31. Consider buying bottled water or install reverse osmosis filtering.

32. Clean your water bottles every time you refill them.

33. Don't use cheap paper towels. Buy the expensive ones that are lint free or use the Scott?s blue shop towels.

34. Spray the car off before you pull it in the bay, where and when possible or ask the client to deliver it clean.

Guest Sprinter

use a chamoise (chammy) to wipe the door chanels and glass off and the tops of the door panels,

sounds like you just need a filter on your sprayer, use the shop towels and make the filter your self, rip a small piece and put it over the intake tube in your sprayer.

you did'nt say what sprayer you were using 5 gallon or hand held??

chuck the hand held and get a pump up sprayer from ace hardware the ones that cost 40-50 bucks or get a 5 gallon stainless off the net for about 30 bucks.

are you wipping your squegee off with the blue shop towels on every pass?

Learn reverse rolling to minimize the essentiality of a few of metint's steps. I found that working with others in my shop, that airborn dust elimination is impossible. Reverse rolling solved issues with airborn contaminants, fingerprints, and many other forms of contamination.

Guest thetintshop
Learn reverse rolling to minimize the essentiality of a few of metint's steps.  I found that working with others in my shop, that airborn dust elimination is impossible.  Reverse rolling solved issues with airborn contaminants, fingerprints, and many other forms of contamination.

[*]246028

you're speaking greek to these new guys.

Guest tint rookie

if you arent pulling panels

pull only top half or the liner on rollups.... once top half is set in place then pull the other half. makes a barrier between film and door panels.

when spraying after the 2nd 1/2 of liner is pulled, spray film and bottom (area once hidden in the door) portion only. stay away from sprayin along the pillars to avoid washing ca-ca back onto the glass.

after tucking under rubbers, yellow squeegee along the sides and bottom 1st to help avoid dirt from sucking back up from the pillars and/or rubber along bottom edge.

agreed the rev. roll is the best for back glass. if youre looking like frankenstein carrying film around youre doin it wrong....good luck.

Guest thetintshop
if youre looking like frankenstein carrying film around youre doin it wrong....

That's how I look... :bat I've never been a reverse roller.

[*]246158

me either. and I don't have contamination problems.

(no hair gel jokes OT)

Archived