The cutting edge

Guest atypicaldave

Guest metint

That ceramic cutter IS quite the gem... be careful using it on glass edges, it'll ruin the cutter if the glass edge isn't seamed.

They work very well in combination with a couple of wood edge (not the metal one) wallpaper pasting tables ( http://www.paintstoreonline.com/ ) set side by side. Top should have safety film or paint protection urethane dry laminated to it, so the film will not move around during cutting.

As to the Box Star cutting system from Tintwizard Inc... I got mine last week and found it to work very well for the cost. Right up the alley for those who are looking to get-'er-done without handing out a bank account to acquire one.

I have not tried any safety/security film on the Box Star, yet.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest youngbuisnessman
That really does look like a badazz cutter.  I personally pre-cut everything on our cutting table with our filmhandler...but for those who do cut outta the box,  that looks like one helluva setup.  :blah

[*]269744

I've been dying to ask that question. You pre-cut everything on a cutting table?

Do you trace the outside of the window with some kind of paper to make a pattern?

If you use a pattern is it cut to actual size or do you leave an inch or half inch extra to trim later? :beer:lol2

Guest autotinter
That really does look like a badazz cutter.? I personally pre-cut everything on our cutting table with our filmhandler...but for those who do cut outta the box,? that looks like one helluva setup.? :beer

[*]269744

I've been dying to ask that question. You pre-cut everything on a cutting table?

Do you trace the outside of the window with some kind of paper to make a pattern?

If you use a pattern is it cut to actual size or do you leave an inch or half inch extra to trim later? :lol2:lol2

[*]309780

no need to waste time with pattern, cut and trim :DD

If you use a pattern is it cut to actual size or do you leave an inch or half inch extra to trim later? 

I pre-cut every piece about an inch over and trim on the window. eliminates having to cut film before installation at the job site. there's no way in hell I'd try to pre-cut every piece to fit exact on each window. :eyebrows

Guest metint

Buy a BoxStar cutting kit that started this thread and you can cut all the film you want.....

before putting it on the glass for the final trim. :lol2

Or you could really make it look like you don't make much at this profession and just h@ck it out of the box. :eyebrows

Guest glassfx

In some instances, the use of this tool is good, hell I drew 1 up 10 years ago and went to a general engineering shop and had 1 made!..the new guys liked it.

At the end of the day a few olfas stabbed in the box at the mesurment you need works for all old hacks....and that is me...old h@ck!!! :jerkit

Guest FilmBlazer

If you use a pattern is it cut to actual size or do you leave an inch or half inch extra to trim later? 

I pre-cut every piece about an inch over and trim on the window. eliminates having to cut film before installation at the job site. there's no way in hell I'd try to pre-cut every piece to fit exact on each window. :jerkit

[*]310059

I do the same. I have a cutting table 6 feet wide and 9 feet long with square inches marked out on the surface of the table. I has a slit down the middle at exactly 36" so I can cut most residential glass without problems. Its been around from well before I bought the biz, I would guess since early late 80's or early 90's. Its time to be resurfaced but still accurate as hell. That along with Flat Glass Pro, and I have my waste down as low as I can get it. I have never used a film handler and won't consider it or this contraption until I grow up and get big. I just prefer to do all cutting prior to arriving at the install. But I'm just a lil man in this great big world of glass coatings. It does sound like it might be handy for large security films apps.

I do like the KY method too, the Olfa box slash n h@ck for on the job cutting.

Archived