Window tinting and internal glass antenna

Guest toyotafanatic

Here is the troubleshooting method to see if a rear window ant equiped radio is functioning correctly.

:shock

My take is if you follow these instructions for the toyota or whatever car a tinter could verify WHERE the problem is without pulling the tint off just to show the dealer "I told you so" as we recently did on an 05 corolla.

http://www.audifans.com/twiki/bin/view/Aud...dshieldAntennae

<<After investigating further I learned that the "coax" from the rear antenna was damaged somehow during the recall operation. I learned that there's a very fine gauge wire for the center conductor of the coax, it probably got pinched.

To test for this situation you can pull off the inner C-pillar cover on the left (driver's) side of the car. Behind the cover you will see a black module connecting to the rear defroster that has several electrical connections ... one of which being a coax cable connection. Unscrew this connector, turn on the radio and set it to the frequency of a known AM or FM station. Reception is likely to be bad or non-existent. Now take a length of wire ... a test lead for a multimeter works just fine ... and touch it to the center contact of the antenna ... if the reception does not change significantly you have a problem with the cable. If the cable is working, the next thing to check is that power is being supplied to the amplifier, and that the amplifier is attached to the tabs on the windshield. If all this appears to be working well, verify the continuity from the amplifier to the trace in the windshield. >> :wall

Archived