A serious trick for upholstery & stereo

Guest zolar

Guest zolar

I have a trade secret I am going to share with you kind folks.

My boss picked the vinyl & colors for this monster stereo I have been tricking out, part time, for about a year.

Anyway, the vinyl he picked was pearl white marine. This crap was so stiff you could hardly bend it around a corner.

My fabrication is really curvy 3D shapes in cloth & resin on MDF. So I had to come up with a way to bend this turd

grade marine vinyl, without seams, or sewing. After much trial & error I found something remarkable.

M.E.K methyl-ethel-keytone is a serious solvent, I have used for welding ABS together. I tried soaking the vinyl

in everything imaginable, with no luck, until I broke out the M.E.K.

If you roll the M.E.K. on with a paint roller, on the back side, it will separate the mesh backing from the vinyl & foam

underneath. just peel the backing right off.

Then the vinyl has the softest hand, and will stretch in every direction 200% or more!

It will tear very easily on a fingernail when stretching though, be carefull.

Anyway I am going to put up a few pix of the work in progress, to show you the vinyl looks stretched.

The only stock piece of interior in the truck is the dash, wich I buit on to. The dash is wrapped in one piece

of vinyl. There is not one stitch, or seam anywhere.

I hope you like the work, and the tip. It only took me 20 years of vinyl wrestling, to figure it out.

Z

And more to stretch around the rest of the truck in the next few weeks.

I will post more of this beast soon.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zolar

I am going to post some more of my upholstery & custom audio, in the car audio & video forum.

If you would like to see more of my non-sewing work.

Z

Guest zolar

My humble thanks T4L.

I am glad you like it.

I am digging out the old pix right now. I might get 'em up tonight over in the 12V forum.

Z

I have a trade secret I am going to share with you kind folks.

My boss picked the vinyl & colors for this monster stereo I have been tricking out, part time, for about a year.

Anyway, the vinyl he picked was pearl white marine. This crap was so stiff you could hardly bend it around a corner.

My fabrication is really curvy 3D shapes in cloth & resin on MDF. So I had to come up with a way to bend this turd

grade marine vinyl, without seams, or sewing. After much trial & error I found something remarkable.

M.E.K methyl-ethel-keytone is a serious solvent, I have used for welding ABS together. I tried soaking the vinyl

in everything imaginable, with no luck, until I broke out the M.E.K.

If you roll the M.E.K. on with a paint roller, on the back side, it will separate the mesh backing from the vinyl & foam

underneath. just peel the backing right off.

Then the vinyl has the softest hand, and will stretch in every direction 200% or more!

It will tear very easily on a fingernail when stretching though, be carefull.

Anyway I am going to put up a few pix of the work in progress, to show you the vinyl looks stretched.

The only stock piece of interior in the truck is the dash, wich I buit on to. The dash is wrapped in one piece

of vinyl. There is not one stitch, or seam anywhere.

I hope you like the work, and the tip. It only took me 20 years of vinyl wrestling, to figure it out.

Z

And more to stretch around the rest of the truck in the next few weeks.

I will post more of this beast soon.

[*]284986

Guest zolar

Thanks Tintdesigns, I will take some step by step on the glass work,

Pretty simple stuff.

The sanding is the Biznitch.

I think I have the rough pix of the giant waveguide for the subs, and the B pillar panels, I will look.

Z

Archived