Computer Cutting Macine

Guest Reif40

Guest redgtxdi

Just curious...........when you cut 1/4" wider........don't you ever have probs w/ tint creasing as you're trying to **tuck** in the side gaskets???

Only time I go over is when I can get ALL gaskets out...........(a la my '89 mazda pickup)......*******moment of silence for stepbrother having smashed it into a telephone poll & totalling it back in '95*******............OK, silence over.

:beer

P.S. Reminds me......gotta go post in 'horror stories' right now, BRB!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest God_Of_All_Tinters

Our plotter has paid for itself in graphics and vinyl jobs alone, not to mention the twenty minutes that it knocks off every car. I did it the old school way for a long time..... now I'm a big, big fan of the plotter.

Granted, not all patterns are perfect, but the company we use is pretty good for changing them if we tell them why it's bad and send them another one cut out well.

Although the initial investment is steep, if you can afford one, get one. It will definitely pay over the long run.

plotter has paid for itself in graphics and vinyl jobs alone, not to mention the twenty minutes that it knocks off every car.  I did it the old school way for a long time..... now I'm a big, big fan of the plotter.

Granted, not all patterns are perfect, but the company we use is pretty good for changing them if we tell them why it's bad and send them another one cut out well. 

Although the initial investment is steep, if you can afford one, get one.  It will definitely pay over the long run.

[*]337449

:thumb

plotters and software is a good investment, just dont rely on the machine alone.

if you dont have any skillz cutting your own pattern, youll have to turn away cars because not all cars have patterns, that you can cut,

or what happens if you loose internet for a couple of hours, or even if the computer crashes. then what?

I like my plotter but I can hand cut even better, just not faster.

Class of seven this week learning auto install basics... 2 will leave with automated cutting package.

When asked about showing how it operates and cuts, my response, you need learn to cut first, install second. What are you going to do the day the plotter does not cut, the software locks up the puter or the pattern isn't in the selections.

Don't put the plotter before the cutting...

Plotters are not going to replace hand cut pattern needs, but when they're operating like a top, they sure can do many things without interference from a hangover... :thumb

Class of seven this week learning auto install basics... 2 will leave with automated cutting package.

When asked about showing how it operates and cuts, my response, you need learn to cut first, install second. What are you going to do the day the plotter does not cut, the software locks up the puter or the pattern isn't in the selections.

Don't put the plotter before the cutting...

Plotters are not going to replace hand cut pattern needs, but when they're operating like a top, they sure can do many things without interference from a hangover... :thumb

[*]337675

I can definately agree there MT, knowing how to cut by hand is very important. Computers crash, software and hardware will malfunction

and usually at the worst time possible.

I still don't have a good tint cutting program so hand cutting is the way I do most all jobs.

I have made my own patterns in ACad for a few cars with some luck, but I never rely them. Most times it is quicker to just cut it by hand.

The time it takes to load film, set up the file to cut and walk it out to the vehicle, you'd be done faster if you just cut it yourself. :thumb

[i dont have one and have never used one. You guys keep talking about expense anf programs.

Whats a ball park figure or range on the set up and do you pay monthly for the programs or just one fee up front???

[*]337851

The whole set up costs around $7500+ and the monthly fees for the program runs $120. You can piece on together cheaper but thats what you get-cheap with no technical help. A plotter setup isnt for shops doing a few cars daily-its for people who need more time.Some one who runs alot of cars. That would be me! :twocents I think most people that bash these setups either 1) cant afford one or 2) has never seen someone experienced with it use one! :dunno

Guest God_Of_All_Tinters
[The whole set up costs around $7500+ and the monthly fees for the program runs $120. You can piece on together cheaper but thats what you get-cheap with no technical help. A plotter setup isnt for shops doing a few cars daily-its for people who need more time.Some one who runs alot of cars. That would be me! :lol6  I think most people that bash these setups either 1) cant afford one or 2) has never seen someone experienced with it use one!  :lol6

[*]337878

I agree completely. Whether or not you use a plotter, you should definitely learn how to cut by hand and be proficient in that. You learn a lot more about what the window does (side to side movement, etc.) when you cut by hand, and that helps in applying the tint. The plotter saves a ton of time, and the patterns are usually right on the money. I won't lie, though, some patterns are so off that I will still cut the car by hand. However, all things considered, I wouldn't trade it for anything because of the volume of work that it allows me to do.

Archived