Sq. Ft. or Rolling ft

Guest afterhours

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

I just charge sq ft off roll and always round up. But sometimes I just charge a flat rate, for example if a customer only has 2- 24 x 36 windows which is 12 square feet, and you charge $5 sq ft you would be getting $60. I would much rather tell her $50 per window instead of breaking it down and cheating myself out of $40, besides who wants to drive across town for that little of cash anyways

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint rookie
Always sq ft.

But make sure you cover your waste as well.

ie, if a window is 58"x58", charge it as 25 sq ft not 23.36 sq ft.

You are paying for 25 sq ft in film, so should your client.

[*]316408

:bingo Sq. Ft. used from roll not Sq. Ft. of window.

[*]316421

the tinters who wonder why they get beat out on bids..

who would you choose.

the tinter who's trying to slip an extra 7 bucks per frame in or the one who knows how to read a tape measure?

explain you add a small amount for trimming on the glass, which is more than acceptable.

on a full house job, say 12 panes, over 80 bucks difference, well beyond acceptable.

you buy tint for how much?

you charge how much?

youre still makin money.

trims are inevitable, there will be those times, im gonna just finish this 48" b4 I dive in into the 60"

roll em up and save them trims.....keep your eyes open for french windows. charge more for the xtra cuts on inventory thats already paid for.....duh.....I think you'll make a lil bit more than 7 bucks per frame.

[*]316950

So are you saying to charge that 58"x58" at 25 sq ft or 23.36 sq ft??

If you are charging at 23.36 sq ft, then you are the only one getting beat cause you are never going to use that 2" of waste anywhere.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that almost every industry outside of window tinting charges around the sizes that materials are purchased in.

Why would film be any different?

Also, if you are familiar with any of the expensive films on the market, and have had the great pleasure of writing one of those large checks for 1 roll of film ( example, spectrally-selective film) I doubt you would be willing to not charge for the waste or trims as they are referred to.

Just my :poke

[*]317189

I dont waste my time, or customers time with low end films. so yeah im quite accustomed to writing checks for high end film.

last time I checked it costs money to make money, ideal to keep losses at a minimum.

would you as a customer choose the tinter whos gonna eat the 2" or stick it to the customer.

sorry if I take a more realistic look towards sales,

you dont get the job cuz you expect the customer to eat your 2"......loss. (I held back there)

youre losing money.

get the job loose 80 bucks on it vs. not get the job at all and loose out on 2,800...(usuming the hypothetical 5x5 x12panes @ 4 per square).

if you really insist on being cheap, just reflect it in the per square footage charge.

1/2 the business sense would tell that. least youre appearing honest.

but wait the bottom line will still be 80 bucks higher.

happy bidding.

Guest windoworx

OK, you know it really doesn't matter. As time goes by and you have x amount of jobs under your belt, you should have figured out a formula for quoting customer. Some jobs you'll realize that you didn't make enough compared to others. French panes you can never make enough. It gets to a point that measuring the windows is for film sizing. Price, different formula. You here so much BS about business plans. My plan is to stay in business. I work by myself. If I closed every sale I think I would lose my mind. My plan has always been to gravitate toward what ever makes the most money. Most of my money is from Contract installation of Window treatments for Home Depot. Excellent money with relative little liability. This is were I get most of my film customers. When the blind installs slow down. I close film job faster. Fortunately they haven't slowed in 9 yrs.

Fortunately tinter's are very opinionated. That's what makes this forum so great.

:bingo:poke That's my 4 cents

Guest tint rookie

werd...I love that we all agree to disagree.

I dont think ive ever looked at every job the same, we all have our initial ballpark figures but theres sooooo many variables, other than square footage.

I personally wouldnt pay for something I didnt get.

im a firm believer tinting is sooo basic.

good film + experienced installation = my fam eating.

charging for something they arent getting = risk of losing the 2800 dolla (I think that was the final figure, man im fried) job over 80 bux.

just food for thought.

Guest windoworx

I gave this couple a quote last week. The guy calls me today and asks me basically if I'm cheaper than anyone else. I told him that I hope I'm not, and please call other people. Funny thing is that he never asked me if my quality is better. Generally my price is competitive. By I really never what to be the cheapest. All high stuff too. If he calls me back I may have to raise my price $80.00. I like that number. Thanks

Guest tint rookie

:eyebrows

why are you cheaper?

its just you if im not mistaken...

best tint biz decison ever....higher overhead beyond film and your experience....dosent improve the product.

if youre better biz sense saves you and the customer a buck....thats what'll keep you in business.

thats the point where customers become clients, and you stay in business

Guest windoworx

The only reason I believe that I am competitive is that one of the major players is a Vista dealer and they are never cheaper. Last year I gave a quote to a builder. Some one was doing some film work for them but they asked me for a quote since I was there hanging blinds. It was a wall of windows with an arch at the very top(18 Ft). 200 Sq ft total. I figured I will give them a very special price of $850. I consider this charity. Would you believe he has it done for $250 from the other guy. That's just about what the Lulu film would cost me. Kinda glad I didn't get the job. Might as well save that kind of energy for much better bucks anyway. Basically they get cheap reflective film and 2 no English speaking guys making 5 an hour.

Archived