Advice for first time Auto Detailer

Guest jasaman

For that matter, I can make you a list that I made for my guys to go by when I would train them.

It is a simple step by step list that helped them do things in a certain order, it helped them keep from missing things in the process, due to destractions, incompotense or generally not paying attention.

Thanks,

That would be great. Can you email it to me ? jsearing@socal.rr.com

Thanks

jasaman

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Shineshop

"I can argee with that, but lets face it, what does it take to detail a vehicle?

Attention to detail, the right supplies and tools, a place to do your work and the ability to clean a car."

If only it were that simple. Lot's of people can do an "adequate" job of cleaning a vehicle but how many are really, truly competent detailers? Do you know how to handle specific problems such as:

- interior stain removal?

- organic material removaql and decontamination?

- high speed polishing on the mulitudes of different painted surfaces?

- Industrial fallout removal?

- Overspray removal?

ETC....ETC.....

It isn't as easy as it's made out to be by most and that's why they fail. They don't think enough of this industry to become trained and professional. Learn by experimentation on your customers cars they say - is that fair to your PAYING customer? Don't take my word for it. Grab your local yellow pages and see how many detailers from last year are still in business. Furthermore, grab a phone book from a couple of years back and see how many are still there. I am not trying to discourage you as it sounds like you are gung ho and ready to get going on this business but I want you to be realistic and ready for the challenge ahead of you. I can't tell you how many have come before you asking the same questions only to be penniless a year later because they wouldn't listen to sound advice. The business aspect is equally important to your competence as a detailer and you need to charge for your work or you will fail. How many boneheads do you see doing a six hour detail for like $125? Lots. Don't be that guy and I hope that you have success in your new venture.

You mentioned that you have $4000 to start with. Not enough. You will burn thru that in no time. businesses fail for one reason. They run out of cash. If you are trying to set up a real business most of that $4000 will be gone to legal fees and the small amount of equipment you may be able to buy. To put it in perspective, my pressure washer alone cost almost $4000.

You are not the first person who has come to this forum gung ho to be a detailer, but without training. Having the drive to do it is great, but you also need some skills. Why not go work for someone until you learn enough to head out on your own? It makes no sense to assume that you will figure it out on your own. Detailing cars for the public is very different than detailing your own car in your driveway.

Guest Shineshop
You mentioned that you have $4000 to start with. Not enough. You will burn thru that in no time. businesses fail for one reason. They run out of cash. If you are trying to set up a real business most of that $4000 will be gone to legal fees and the small amount of equipment you may be able to buy. To put it in perspective, my pressure washer alone cost almost $4000.

You are not the first person who has come to this forum gung ho to be a detailer, but without training. Having the drive to do it is great, but you also need some skills. Why not go work for someone until you learn enough to head out on your own? It makes no sense to assume that you will figure it out on your own. Detailing cars for the public is very different than detailing your own car in your driveway.

[*]319745

:beer

Jasaman,you will do find. When you try different things make sure it is on something you don't mind junking.Also I think there is a distr. called 3d Product that is in your area. I,ve herd some people talk about them. If you have any questions just read threw the Forum it is a great information tool. :lol:lol:ohcrap

I know that it is a lot of money but I got tired of buying cheap ones that break. It is made of all stainless steel, runs off 220, and has hot water and steam. It burns clean and can be run indoors without an exhaust. Also came with a undercarriage cleaner that is on wheels and sprays 3 streams of water under the car to clean oil spills, etc. Also has a custom made wand with a swivel so it rotates and you can clean wheel wells and door jambs easily. Also have an 8 foot wand for cleaning out truck beds without getting soaked

It is actually only a 1500 PSI machine which I think is perfect for detailing. Get too strong and you can blast paint off.

Guest Anthony Orosco

I have been in business 17 years now and counting. I do an OK job at detailing BUT if I could go back and do it over two things would be at the top of my list.

1) You need capital. Just becuase its "washing cars" does not mean it is anything to scoff at and try and do on a shoestring budget.

2) Training.

Anyone who even thinks, "Hey its just washing and waxing of a car, how hard can it be?!" Is either ignorant or no longer in business just "washing and waxing" cars. Or they may still be in business but they are hacks.

Do you know the thickness of todays paints?

What RPM should not be exceeded when working on OEM clear coats?

How do I remove red dye, ink or vomit from interior carpets, leather and/or vinyl?

Can smoke odor be removed or should I just spray "new car" smell all over everything and cover it up for about an hour?

How come I'm charging $120.00 for a 4 hour detail job but I can't seem to make any profit?

If you don't know, understand and grasp the THEORY of detailing then you will buy every wonder wax that comes down the pike. You will be lost in a web of foam pads, wool pads, glazes, polishes, cleaners, polymers and useless tools unless you get some serious training. Detailing is both an art and a science and what will set you apart from the hacks is having a sound knowledge of both areas.

Try PrepExcellance or Kevin Farrells training sessions. Both are excellant and most likely better that Rightlook and others.

Anthony

Guest tmd325
I know that it is a lot of money but I got tired of buying cheap ones that break. It is made of all stainless steel, runs off 220, and has hot water and steam. It burns clean and can be run indoors without an exhaust. Also came with a undercarriage cleaner that is on wheels and sprays 3 streams of water under the car to clean oil spills, etc. Also has a custom made wand with a swivel so it rotates and you can clean wheel wells and door jambs easily. Also have an 8 foot wand for cleaning out truck beds without getting soaked

It is actually only a 1500 PSI machine which I think is perfect for detailing. Get too strong and you can blast paint off.

[*]320437

O.K. I here where you are coming from now.I didn't know it was a hot water pressure washer. I understand why paid paid that price for it. Do you find it better than the cold water ones?

Archived