All set up but nowhere to go!

Guest Shady

Hello,

so I have newly required rockhopper 2/ mutoh/ gerber/ 46"/ whatever printer and plotter set up. I dont need to know if this set up is any good or not, I would just like a bit of info on best materials for wrapping, site where I can buy or get royalty free pics, and what my most likely problems are going to be. I can tint well and have taken a wrapping course, so its more the technical info that would be greatly appretiated.

cheers

Billy :thumb

I can see not alot of people use the vehicle wrap section on tintdude. So my main questions are, is it best to pay the price for the avery or 3M products (for their conformability), what about laminating? do you do this before, after, or even at all? Does anyone use liquid laminate?

:lol6

Guest signandtint

hello again

its kevin here at sign and tint ltd in the west mids. we have been wrapping for 8 years now, give me a call and I will let you know what I know as to best results etc., 01922 456633

regards

kevin

The Avery and 3M vinyls are worth the money. Saving yourself $100 on materials does not pay when the customer comes back because the adhesive failed, or the color has faded in a month.

Cold (pressure) laminate works great, once again go with quality materials, I use Seal laminate. The laminate is what can make that fantastic looking wrap stay fantastic.

Those manufacturers also have ICC profiles matched to your software, equipment, and media that will work perfectly 98% of the time, which saves a lot of time doing test prints.

Royalty free stock photos and art is available from a lot of places.

digitaljuice.com

comstock.com

you can search the net for a lot more.

Last thought, color calibrate your monitor to your printer, you can buy the equipment or have a pro come in and do it for you.

Gretamacbeth makes a nice calibrator for $1500, worth it when you realise that the weather outside can make a difference in your color printing. Or the customer comes in with a pantone color that they must have and your printer can't approximate the color with stock settings.

Very much appretiated sfotw and Kevin.

sfotw thanks for your time in pointing me in the right direction, this infomation is invaluable to me at present.

Kevin I look forward to speaking with you again soon, hopefully early next week (24th,25th) will be a good time. Maybe the latter as I will still be recovering from a weekend Riga rendezvous with Leo!

Guest responsegraphics
The Avery and 3M vinyls are worth the money. Saving yourself $100  on materials does not pay when the customer comes back because the adhesive failed, or the color has faded in a month.

Cold (pressure) laminate works great, once again go with quality materials, I use Seal laminate. The laminate is what can make that fantastic looking wrap stay fantastic.

Those manufacturers also have ICC profiles matched to your software, equipment, and media that will work perfectly 98% of the time, which saves a lot of time doing test prints.

digitaljuice.com

comstock.com

Last thought, color calibrate your monitor to your printer, you can buy the  equipment or have a pro come in and do it for you.

Gretamacbeth makes a nice calibrator for $1500, worth it when you realise that the weather outside can make a difference in your color printing. Or the customer comes in with a pantone color that they must have and your printer can't approximate the color with stock settings.

[*]328091

We are a 3M Scotchprint manufacturer here in Australia. I came back to the UK in Feb for a holiday, and to help my brother out.

I only use 3M 8519 and 3M 8910 overlaminate, both of these are matched components, so we can offer the 3M MCS warranty.

If you don't match the laminate with the film, or the pressure on the laminate is incorrect, one film will have more stress in than the other resulting in media failure a couple of days after application.

I would suggest, knowing that William Smiths or Halo have the only Scotchprint 2000 machines in the UK to use a liquid laminate on the film, as there is no problems in conformability differences between film and laminate.

Another interesting fact, is that it is cheaper to import 3M Scotchprint through us from Australia, than it is to buy it in the UK. While I was over, I quoted on supplying material for 50 vehicles for my brother, and could save him around 18,000 pounds in materials alone.

Williwma Smiths want 200 pounds per square metres for 8519 and 8911. That is equates to $500 AUSD per square metre, we can produce it and ship it for $300 per square...

Crazy...and they wonder why nobody uses 3M materials for wrapping in the UK...

Check my work out on www.response-graphics.com

The Avery and 3M vinyls are worth the money. Saving yourself $100? on materials does not pay when the customer comes back because the adhesive failed, or the color has faded in a month.

digitaljuice.com

comstock.com

Last thought, color calibrate your monitor to your printer, you can buy the? equipment or have a pro come in and do it for you.

[*]328091

We are a 3M Scotchprint manufacturer here in Australia. I came back to the UK in Feb for a holiday, and to help my brother out.

I only use 3M 8519 and 3M 8910 overlaminate, both of these are matched components, so we can offer the 3M MCS warranty.

If you don't match the laminate with the film, or the pressure on the laminate is incorrect, one film will have more stress in than the other resulting in media failure a couple of days after application.

I would suggest, knowing that William Smiths or Halo have the only Scotchprint 2000 machines in the UK to use a liquid laminate on the film, as there is no problems in conformability differences between film and laminate.

Another interesting fact, is that it is cheaper to import 3M Scotchprint through us from Australia, than it is to buy it in the UK. While I was over, I quoted on supplying material for 50 vehicles for my brother, and could save him around 18,000 pounds in materials alone.

Williwma Smiths want 200 pounds per square metres for 8519 and 8911. That is equates to $500 AUSD per square metre, we can produce it and ship it for $300 per square...

Crazy...and they wonder why nobody uses 3M materials for wrapping in the UK...

Check my work out on www.response-graphics.com

[*]328187

Thanks mate,

If I remember rightly, back in 2001 we were getting $4 to ?1 !!! Good time to buy anything !!! I like your site, it seems you have the lot covered! excuse the pun! I will contact you at your e-mail address about buying the products you mentioned. You will see my sales@dartsfilmz.co.uk address come up.

Thanks again for the advise.

Billy

Archived