Dot matrix cover up with vinyl

ok, I know this has probably been asked 100 times so heres 101.

I tinted a 2002 mustang and the tint would not lay down on the matrix AT ALL. I have yet to find the "blue elmers school glue" anywhere in my area. I've been to Meijers, K-Mart, CVS, Wallgreens, Walmart, and Joan Fabrics. No one has it, I'm gonna have to look for it online somewhere. But anyways...... I ended up cutting the tint right on the first defroster line so I could apply vinyl. I have ordered a few roll sof the Oracal 651 series.

My cutomer/friend is throwing around the idea of going with red vinyl on the outside to match the color of his mustang.

1.) My first question is.... I'm assuming I'll just use my tinting slip to wet the outside glass then peel the vinyl backing off, place the vinyl into position and then squeegie out the slip?

2.) Second..... I know I'll use the factory edge about 1/16" past that defroster line, but for the top & upper corners, I'm asuming I'm going to just do the best I can with cutting along the rubber seal? This is where I'm a bit cautious. Is there a trick to this? Is there a method to doing this or is it just as it sounds and cut along the rubber seal? Should I try to peal the seal back a bit?

3.) Now.... If my friend decides he doesnt want to go with red vinyl and just wants to go with black. Should I put the black on the inside or outside? If I put it on the inside can I just use my tinting slip? Will I get matrix white dots or will the vinyl adhere to the glass between the dots and look good?

Thanks for your help....

If my friend decides he doesnt want to go with red vinyl and just wants to go with black. Should I put the black on the inside or outside?  If I put it on the inside can I just use my tinting slip?  Will I get matrix white dots or will the vinyl adhere to the glass between the dots and look good?

Thanks for your help....

[*]327534

Do yourself a favour..forget putting it on the outside..it'll look WAY much better using black matrix on the inside ..and when done correctly..it looks good ..make your template for it out of a scrap peice of tint much like you would a sunstrip, trace onto the vinyl , install (tip..scrape, then sand down the dots with a 600 - 1000 grit wet sandpaper first..not always nessessary, but for the 2 minutes it takes will quaranty you a good bond )

Here's a pic of the dots doneon a cavalier..(same idea ) :lol

post-104-1129637505.jpg

Guest tint rookie

do the whole back glass like normal.... once all squeegied out, cut the top portion (matrix area) out.....theres your pattern. make sure its dry. adhere to paper side of vynil.

to install. make sure your completely off the backing b4 wetting with your normal slip solution.

line up your bottom edge. BCH of overlap. yellow squeege only.

being the pattern is exact to what you are removing. you may be a tad shy in a corner or top edge if its possitioned differently.

if your using a quality thinner vynil, you should be able to get enough stretch to make it go away.

Guest tintgod

did you try looking in the shool suplies at all those stores for the glue..I know they have it there.anyways..that is besides that point sence you cut it off all ready

do what TW has suggested... :lol and I till come out good enough..in not a vinyl fan but it will do :lol

Any clear, water soluable glue will work. I use a clear glue that I purchase at a local fabric/arts & crafts store like Jo-Anne fabrics. I have used blue elmers, and that works great, it's just that the stuff I get allows my oral syringe to fit in the top opening of the glue bottle better.

And if I vinyl (about once per year), I also use the cut-off portion of the film as a template. That works excellent.

Archived