VS 61 Nighttime Vision Issue

Guest johnnyp

Guest johnnyp

I recently posted in the "general" section and realized that may have been the wrong place to post the message below:

We just had Vista VS61 installed on 31 dual-pane windows in our loft space in Jersey City, NJ

We have a beautiful view of NYC and look down onto the heart of Jersey City itself. That said...the view at night includes many lights - building lights, street lights, car headlights, etc.

It's quite amazing...however, since we had the tinting installed we are experiencing severe "double vision" at night (that's probably the best way for me to describe it). Simply put, every set of lights is doubled...and in a city like this it's a bit overwhelming (imagine every set of headlights doubled)

We did a lot of research before having the tinting installed...and we never came across this issue (of course...we didn't think to even ask about it since we are newcomers to the tinting world). In fact, everything we read and heard said that the nighttime view would only be "enhanced." That's obviously not the case

Is this a common problem/issue?

I recently posted in the "general" section and realized that may have been the wrong place to post the message below:

We just had Vista VS61 installed on 31 dual-pane windows in our loft space in Jersey City, NJ

We have a beautiful view of NYC and look down onto the heart of Jersey City itself. That said...the view at night includes many lights - building lights, street lights, car headlights, etc.

It's quite amazing...however, since we had the tinting installed we are experiencing severe "double vision" at night (that's probably the best way for me to describe it). Simply put, every set of lights is doubled...and in a city like this it's a bit overwhelming (imagine every set of headlights doubled)

We did a lot of research before having the tinting installed...and we never came across this issue (of course...we didn't think to even ask about it since we are newcomers to the tinting world). In fact, everything we read and heard said that the nighttime view would only be "enhanced." That's obviously not the case

[*]336323

Johnny...

Your issue is very much a visual one and can only be adequately addressed either through excellent photography and posting of pictures or by having someone representative of the film maker come and see.

This 'visit' should not be difficult this time of year since it does get dark fairly early in the evening and shouldn't infringe upon any parties scheduling.

May I suggest you contact the installing firm and address this issue with them... they in turn can call in the manufacturer's rep for the Northeast US for further investigation... and if truly needed, someone from the plant in Martinsville VA would get involved... all with a view to bring about a solution.

Guest johnnyp

thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely contact the installers.

is it safe to assume from your response/feedback that this is not a common issue and should not be happening???

windows are naturally reflective. adding window film to them adds reflectivity. there's no doubt about it that it happens. the side of the glass with the most light is the more reflective side. the problem is that now that you've had film installed you're concentrating more on looking AT the glass rather than through it.

vs61 shouldn't be a film with that much of an issue.

Guest sunbuster

[*]336323

Johnny,

The film you had installed has an interior reflectance of 20%. It is virtually undetectable during the day because the product is so light, but at night the interior reflectance is 2 and a half times thet of regular clear glass (8%). If you have low E windows and it sounds like you do, the reflectivity will

be greater. Although it costs about twice as much, The Spectra Select 60 would have been better suited for this situation. In the same price range, the HARMONY 50 Ceramic would also be a nice touch. It is 10 percent darker, but with 9% Interior reflectivity, it is virtuallt invisible.

The VS -61 is a beautiful film. It was one of my favorites until I discovered the interior reflectivity myself.

HERE'S A TIP. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE, BUT IF YOU CAN DIM THE LIGHTS INSIDE, THAT WILL REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF LIGHT REFLECTED.

If you need it removed contact the dealer ASAP, the longer that film sits, the harder it is to get off. Good Luck!

thanks for the feedback.  I'll definitely contact the installers.

is it safe to assume from your response/feedback that this is not a common issue and should not be happening???

[*]336345

No... that is an assumption. I was more focused on the fact that none here can see what you speak of. But the quotes below have field experience with this type product and what they shared is right on the money. I work for the product maker and have only limited experience in viewing this product after dark.

windows are naturally reflective.  adding window film to them adds reflectivity.  there's no doubt about it that it happens.  the side of the glass with the most light is the more reflective side.  the problem is that now that you've had film installed you're concentrating more on looking AT the glass rather than through it. 

vs61 shouldn't be a film with that much of an issue.

[*]336351

Johnny,

The film you had installed has an interior reflectance of 20%. It is virtually undetectable during the day because the product is so light, but at night the interior reflectance is 2 and a half times thet of regular clear glass (8%). If you have low E windows and it sounds like you do, the reflectivity will

be greater. Although it costs about twice as much, The Spectra Select 60 would have been better suited for this situation. In the same price range, the HARMONY 50 Ceramic would also be a nice touch. It is 10 percent darker, but with 9% Interior reflectivity, it is virtuallt invisible.

The VS -61 is a beautiful film. It was one of my favorites until I discovered the interior reflectivity myself.

HERE'S A TIP. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE, BUT IF YOU CAN DIM THE LIGHTS INSIDE, THAT WILL REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF LIGHT REFLECTED.

If you need it removed contact the dealer ASAP, the longer that film sits, the harder it is to get off. Good Luck!

[*]336434

And Dev...

The particular product you speak of may only be the industry leader in the mind of the beholder... there are other films out there that can do the same and probably have much more in sales and use in the US domestic market. Your statement may only be true in Australia. :dunno

Guest TintPoser

If anything,

with the VS61, you sould have 1 crisp single reflection, unless......

What is the exterior reflectance on theh vs61? 20%

The light is probably reflecting off the backside of the film, then reflecting off the interior surface of the outer pane (lowe2).

should have used VK-70, VK-40, Ceramics, Sech, Spectra Select 70/75.

Johnny...

The above post may clarify what could be happening... IF you have LowE glass AND the coating is on the number 2 surface (number 1 surface being the outer most surface), VS61 with a visible light reflectance of 18% would cause light coming through to reflect off the number 3 surface and then reflect back (a second time) off the number 2 surface. In essence, trapping the reflection inside the insulated glass unit and causing double light image.

Do you know for sure the IG units you have are LowE2.

Who would have known this would be an issue at the point of sale.

I have spoken with the rep for the distributor in your region and they are attempting at this time to get someone out to you to see what this phenomenon looks like and come to some solution to the issue you are faced with.

:lol6

Archived