steamer help

I have done a few detints this week, and outcome was not all that I expected. I got alot of the glue to come off with the filmbut not all. I have used this same steamer before with excellent results.

ON this two particular cars because of the weather. I used more steam then the other times, and it seems. That the spots where I het it extra heavy is where the glue remained.

So is it posible to over steam or am I doing something else wrong?

So is it posible to over steam or am I doing something else wrong?

[*]346455

yes, and some films need very little to no steam to remove film, like soltek, when I uesd the steamer on the tint side it left all the sticky. when I used it to heat to outside of the glass just to warm the window it worked great. :woowoo

Guest tint rookie

did the glue discolor?

your getting the steam between the film and the glass? right?

I know a stupid question.....

only reason I ask,

ive seen some chumps use a heat gun on the outside, trying to heat the glass till it lets go of the film. they get the film off but leave a yellow/brownish cooked on layer of adhesive that you may as well break out a chisel to remove.

only way I can see a steamer do the same thing is if you werent gettin between the film and glass?

weird sh!T..... any guesses to what brand the film was you were removing? (ususally the people who put the sh!t film on never know what kind it was, as they didnt care in the first place when they had the crap installed)

when was the last time you cleaned out your steamer? sometimes they lose their ooomph when the lines get dirty or the heating element gets coated with calcium deposits. maybe its not hot enough and spitting more water than steam?

to clean your steamer, run either some vinegar and water through it, or a light solution of simple green. (good tip for removing film as well, even though the fumes suck arse)

I only know this becuase im a better tinter than you :woowoo J/K

hope the above helps. let us know the verdict.

Tiger thanks for the help It did stick on the one car . where I used more steam than other areas of the glass. :hmmm

Rook no it did not dis color, but I did put a heat lamp on it for a min. Only because it is 32 degrees outside and the glass was very cold. Just figured the cold glass would fight against the steam. ( by the way this was a different car then the one I used a ton of steam on.) maybe that was my trouble there the glass may have been to warm , and the steam dried to fast.

Thanks for the heads up on cleaning the steamer. I never would have thought about calcium on the element. I will just use R.O. water in it from now on to try to avoid that isuue. :lol

Guest tint rookie

its not a bad idea to add a lil heat to a cold pane of glass, I dont care lammy or temped..... thats a drastic change from 32 to 210 (at least) degrees.

just for arguments sake, whats everyones streamer technique?

which attachments do you use, procedure, do you spike the punch, etc., etc.?

What's up Pie?

We use a Jiffy steamer with the brass fitting on the end. I haven't ever found that over steaming was a problem.

It all depends on what kind of film was installed in the first place. SG film comes off really nice with a steamer leaving no glue but ATR film tends to leave small traces of glue when steamed.

When I have a car come in that has purple bubbled up film on the rear window I will start with the steamer usually with negetive results. Then I will take the heat gun to the outside of the window and peal the first layer off leaving just a thin layer of glue (trying not to feel like a chump), I will use a steamer with a scrubby pad to remove the glue. In the summer time we usually just BAG the purple bubbled windows and let the sun do most of the work.

When are you going to be down this way Pie?

Guest God_Of_All_Tinters
Whats up pro how you been?

Dude I was just saying to myself the other day. I have to get down to delaware one of these days. Now that it is the slow season  for us .

[*]347154

Remember to leave the heater at home. No reciprocity.

Whats up pro how you been?

Dude I was just saying to myself the other day. I have to get down to delaware one of these days. Now that it is the slow season? for us .

[*]347154

Remember to leave the heater at home. No reciprocity.

[*]347266

You should go with me one day

Then I can take the heater whos gun is this ummm its his :beer

Archived