Commercial Half tint

Guest FilmBlazer

Guest FilmBlazer

I have had customers come to me in the past requesting that I apply solar control film covering half of the window. I have always declined because of the risk of glass breakage due to uneven heat absorbtion, and tried to convince them to film the entire glass, almost always to lose the business because someone else will do it.

I am considering it as an option and I am looking for some input. Certain films I don't see a problem with. My customers like Vista V14 and V28. I won't do the V28 because of its high heat apsorbtion from the get go, but I am curious about the V14.

Outside of them, I'm not afraid to use Llumar Frosty or Llumar PS3-W for partial installs exposed to the sun. They really want the mirror appearance though. One window faces North (not too worried) and one faces due West ack. How would you feel about a partial 20% refletctive?

1/4 inch glass, 1/2 inch airspace, annealed. Lets hear it.

Guest TintPoser

I'll tint your tile floor if you want me to..... but.....

50% Deposit (check or cash), NO WARRANTY of any kind, written/signed release of liability, and advise them that they are taking a huge risk.

This will proably be one job that actually has nothing go wrong (it's the ones that nothing should happen, that the @#$% hits the fan)

Guest FilmBlazer
I'll tint your tile floor if you want me to..... but.....

50% Deposit (check or cash), NO WARRANTY of any kind, written/signed release of liability, and advise them that they are taking a huge risk.

This will proably be one job that actually has nothing go wrong (it's the ones that nothing should happen, that the @#$% hits the fan)

[*]352144

I just got off the phone with the glass dealer and declined the application for any solar control product of any kind. I offered them partial frosty or whiteout, take it or leave it. After thinking it over I decided that I haven't been doing it for a reason. It's bad for business. If that window pops, the 20 people that work in the small office turn and say to each other, "Don't tint your windows, it will make them break!"

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I'm sticking to my guns!

as long as the heat absorbtion (sp?) doestn pass 50% then your ok...but still like yousaid, uneven heat absorbtion could cause a breakeage.ive done my fair share of half filming, or less, and no problems, you have to see if there is alot of glare or sun hitting or facing these windows.

I got out bid on a big job wanting half tinted windows with 0% blackout (96% heat absorb) couple of weeks later I hear they're changing all the panes that got tinted because of vandalism :gasp:coffee

Half tint seems to be similar to having a shadow across the glass... still, the engineers who calculate film2glass say not a good idea.

Good decision not to follow through.

All it takes is 40 degree F difference in temperature between glass center and glass edge to produce thermal shock. The rest is up to glass quality.

Archived