anyone still do this

Guest keepitcool

Guest vclimber
im interested in the wood turning tool

[*]360071

:lol not good at postin pics, but it basically 5-6" long wooden handle with a 1"long V shaped steel bit on the end that has been sharpened the V would only 2-3mm each V, dont even know the proper term, used to carve wood sculptures.. :thumb

Oz........... :inot

[*]360072

You mean a chisel? No way, you've really tried that on glass???

[*]360079

:) I think a chisel is just the flat type, this is a V shape??

not sure if the Ozy term is different??? :thumb

so you are hard up against the wood and guiding on top of the glass, pressure is on the wood. :inot

:inot Oz..........

[*]360081

Even if you could pull that off. I could see it taking a long time to finish a window. Then there is the contamination issue... I don't know? I'd try and sell em some 60% Spectrally Select Film and tell him it will perform as well as the dark stuff but you'll never know it is on the window... End of light gap issue.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TintsOvOz
im interested in the wood turning tool

[*]360071

:lol not good at postin pics, but it basically 5-6" long wooden handle with a 1"long V shaped steel bit on the end that has been sharpened the V would only 2-3mm each V, dont even know the proper term, used to carve wood sculptures.. :lol

Oz........... :inot

[*]360072

You mean a chisel? No way, you've really tried that on glass???

[*]360079

:? I think a chisel is just the flat type, this is a V shape??

not sure if the Ozy term is different??? :thumb

so you are hard up against the wood and guiding on top of the glass, pressure is on the wood. :)

:inot Oz..........

[*]360081

Even if you could pull that off. I could see it taking a long time to finish a window. Then there is the contamination issue... I don't know? I'd try and sell em some 60% Spectrally Select Film and tell him it will perform as well as the dark stuff but you'll never know it is on the window... End of light gap issue.

[*]360089

I quickly just run it a round the edges prior to starting the fit, for the purpose of just removing the loose bits I.e. paint silicone etc just before the normal scrap, scourer, flush, squeegee process, gets rid ov the daggy bits.

yes it is always nice to do the lighter films but on the odd ocassion they want or need glare or fade etc

not trying to change anyones stlye just happened to answer the first post and I dont use this process if the windows are putty fit :inot now thats a different story, I understand the doubt but it can save some time on fingers and dirt issues especially on the 6"x10" paneled doors at the end of the job I find the film to be sitting nicely :thumb:lol

I did a couple of years of glazing before I started tinting which gave me some knowledge on glass & frames etc

Oz........... :?

I'd try and sell em some 60% Spectrally Select Film and tell him it will perform as well as the dark stuff but you'll never know it is on the window... End of light gap issue.

won't work as well as the dark stuff if he's trying to eliminate glare on his computer screen or tv. :poke

Guest vclimber
I'd try and sell em some 60% Spectrally Select Film and tell him it will perform as well as the dark stuff but you'll never know it is on the window... End of light gap issue.

won't work as well as the dark stuff if he's trying to eliminate glare on his computer screen or tv. :poke

[*]360262

The dark stuff won't eliminate the glare as well as most couch potatos would like. Time for a blind if that is the case.

How dark is the film that you want to put up?

If it is 50% or lighter, the gap should not be a big deal...

Old guy selling Vista for $2.xx/ft will probably keel over and die because he aint gonna make a living selling it for that much. we all know how much it costs.  :spit

[*]360073

:spit:bat true that, but hell, I woudn mind making 3$ per sq ft :DD

Running the film to the edge isn't anything to do with thermal fracture and temp difference... what a bunch of baloney... The film/glass inside the frame is still shaded therefore still cooler than the exposed glass... :spit:spit

Guest vclimber
Running the film to the edge isn't anything to do with thermal fracture and temp difference... what a bunch of baloney... The film/glass inside the frame is still shaded therefore still cooler than the exposed glass... :spit  :bat

[*]360344

Call it creative marketing. He just creates whatever story he needs to market his product and service. :spit

Call it creative marketing. He just creates whatever story he needs to market his product and service.  :spit

[*]360348

Hmmm... reminds me of another discussion all together.... :bat

Isn't it so... they're everywhere and in every industry... :spit

Archived