Lumisty

Guest VOLTRON

Guest VOLTRON

The job I had last night was with Lumisty film and ALOT of cutout's and lettering and also some Vinyl. I was quiet aprehensive when I first got to the job and because of the price of the film and the fact that it was alot of cutouts and if something was to go wrong there wouldnt be any extra pieces and we wouldnt have been able to finish the job. Bt after hanging the first couple pieces it started to go pretty smooth other then the fact that when the pieces were run through a plotter they wernt cut all the way through so I had to go back and retrace all the letters and cut them out again. But all in all it went really well and the job turned out looking awsome and the gentleman that was there supervising the project from corporate was very pleased with the outcome, (or maybe he was just saying that cause he had been there for 10 hours :beer)

But I had been wanting to work with the Lumisty film and I got a chance and it was a good experience and I also got to do some vinyl too.

The job I had last night was with Lumisty film and ALOT of cutout's and lettering and also some Vinyl. I was quiet aprehensive when I first got to the job and because of the price of the film and the fact that it was alot of cutouts and if something was to go wrong there wouldnt be any extra pieces and we wouldnt have been able to finish the job. Bt after hanging the first couple pieces it started to go pretty smooth other then the fact that when the pieces were run through a plotter they wernt cut all the way through so I had to go back and retrace all the letters and cut them out again. But all in all it went really well and the job turned out looking awsome and the gentleman that was there supervising the project from corporate was very pleased with the outcome, (or maybe he was just saying that cause he had been there for 10 hours :beer)

But I had been wanting to work with the Lumisty film and I got a chance and it was a good experience and I also got to do some vinyl too.

[*]360410

Any pictures? I guess they'd have to be from the front and the side to see the Lumisty effect.

BTW - a guy I know installed some Lumisty and actually scrapped a piece - at $20/sq. ft.!

Guest VOLTRON

daaayum, 20 a sq. it feels and installs like safty film, and since my camera took a dump on me I didnt get any pictures but the guy from corporate took some and is supposed to email them to me. I will post them when I get them and figure out how to post pictures on here :beer. He also said he was going to enter the pictures in some contest and if it wins our names will be posted in the magazine as the installers.

Guest VOLTRON

They used both types of Lumisty, frosted form strait on and clear from sides and then clear strait on and frosted from sides so you could see half the words in the cut outs and the other half was the letters were put up there in the other type so half the word would be frosted from side view and clear strait and the other half of the word was the opposite.

V,

Tell us about the application.

eg. How it handled?

I believe you can't pre-cut the stuff for fear of tunnelling.

What gauge would you equate it to in security film?

Could it tear like a soft vinyl...like dusted crystal?

Did you reverse roll it?

Could one person install it by themselves?

How long to dry?

Does it blush when first wet?

Etc. etc.

I'd like to get my teeth into it but distributor feedback is a little short on the ground with it.

Devil

Guest VOLTRON

It handles like a safty film, although the adhesive doesnt seem as aggressive and it is about somewhere between 4-6 mil. All of this stuff was precut and on a roll and shipped to distributor and I picked it up but it was on a very thick role. All of the stuff was precut, but out of the 3 panes of butted glass only one pane was fully coated with the stuff and it was 3 pieces. There was a top, middle, and bottom piece to it, and then the rest of the windows in that 3 window section just had words I had to put up to match and line up with the first section that was installed.

I didnt reverse roll it cause the peices had cutouts and they were somewhat small peices but I wouldnt reverse roll it anyway. I had another guy with me just to help me out and peel the liner for me and help me handle the film before installing it.

As far as how long it takes to dry I'm not sure because of the cutouts in the film I wasnt able to push it out hard for fear of snagging one of the edges of the letters and its also inside the mall so it will not get any sunlight. And I didnt notice any blushing.

It didnt cut to bad but me personally, I wouldnt want to cut it on site, I would try and have it precut cause like I said it handles like a safty film and it doesnt bend well so trying to cut it free hand would be scary being how much it cost and all and the creases when trying to bend film like that. Especially on deep frames.

Got to go to work but post any other questions and I will try to answer them when I get home.

Archived