NFRC & glass coatings

Guest metint

:wall,,? Just cant let it go, can? ya ?

[*]362542

:thumbdown Neither does Ralph Nader, Michael Moore... until it's fully understood.

A retraction and a clarification...

After much reading and inquiry on the subject of infrared (IR) rejection I must admit I am ill-informed...

It is not the term 'infrared rejection' that is ambiguous as I have said on previous occasions, rather, it is the way the number is used to imply IR rejection performance across the entire IR range or even a partial IR range (in the solar spectrum).

Example: CPFilms has an IR absorbing window film product sold in SE Asia with published IR rejection numbers of 70% at 1000nm and 93% at 2500 nm (the PDF can be found under a Google search of 'infrared rejection' directly below the other sites posted in this thread.

It would be erroneous to report this film has an IR rejection of 81.5% (a simple mathematical average) or report only the high end of the two wavelengths tested, 93%.

My apologies for discussing this in any other form or fashion. :lol

Another way of saying it:

Unfortunately, it is easy to interpret this value incorrectly. For instance, if an IR Transmission of 20% or a 80% rejection of IR is given, this does not mean that the film reduces heat gain by 80%.

The reason being that infra-red energy makes up about 53% of the sun's energy, with a similar amount of energy, 44%, (and heat) contained in the sun's visible light.

So even if a film is able to block a very large portion of the sun's infra-red heat, unless it blocks some visible light as well, the film cannot possibly reduce heat gain by more than 50%.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
:thumbdown Neither does Ralph Nader, Michael Moore... until it's fully understood.

After much reading and inquiry on the subject of infrared (IR) rejection I must admit I am ill-informed...

It is not the use of the term that is ambiguous as I have said on previous occasions here at TD.com, rather, it is the way the number is used to identify IR rejection as a broad measure of the entire IR range or even a partial IR range (in the solar spectrum).

Example: CPFilms has an IR absorbing window film product sold in SE Asia with published IR rejection numbers of 70% at 1000nm and 93% at 2500 nm (the PDF can be found under a Google search of 'infrared rejection' directly below the other sites posted in this thread. 

It would be erroneous to report this film has an IR rejection of 81.5% (a simple mathematical average) or report only the high end of the two wavelengths tested, 93%.

My apologies for discussing this in any other form or fashion.  :wall

[*]362694

Ok, now I understand where you are coming from. :lol

I totally agree, reporting IR rejection as a single parameter is ambiguous. IR cannot be generalized.

Guest vclimber

[*]362694

Since you put it this way, I have to ask... Are you saying that certain companies have averaged their IR rejection on differing wavelengths and reported it as a single percentage on their marketing materials?

Guest Retro Tint
:thumb,,? Just cant let it go, can? ya ?

[*]362542

:thumb Neither does Ralph Nader, Michael Moore... until it's fully understood.

It is not the use of the term that is ambiguous as I have said on previous occasions here at TD.com, rather, it is the way the number is used to identify IR rejection as a broad measure of the entire IR range or even a partial IR range (in the solar spectrum).

My apologies for discussing this in any other form or fashion. :nope

[*]362694

Ralph Nader and Michael Moore are total and complete idiots!!

:nope , which is not worth going into. Keep on bringing the film info Me Tint!! I'm in total disbelief that someone like yourself could actually quantify the likes of previously mentioned . :nope

Guest tintgod
:nope,,? Just cant let it go, can? ya ?

[*]362542

:lol2 Neither does Ralph Nader, Michael Moore... until it's fully understood.

[*]362694

:nope , which is not worth going into. Keep on bringing the film info Me Tint!! I'm in total disbelief that someone like yourself could actually quantify the likes of previously mentioned . :thumb

[*]362795

some would totally disagree with you.. not going to mention names.. :thumb:nope

Just typed "infrared rejection" into google .

das film shows up on page 1 ,

v kizzzool makes a show on page 2 ,

and this little gem HERE

shows up way down on page 5 , right after the FSEC reports linked by the OP.

Its a CP auto film introduced in 2001 as IR rejecting, complete with the values posted above.

Lucy got some splainin to do :thumb

Guest Retro Tint
:nope,,? Just cant let it go, can? ya ?

[*]362542

:lol2 Neither does Ralph Nader, Michael Moore... until it's fully understood.

[*]362694

:nope , which is not worth going into. Keep on bringing the film info Me Tint!! I'm in total disbelief that someone like yourself could actually quantify the likes of previously mentioned . :thumb

[*]362795

some would totally disagree with you.. not going to mention names.. :thumb:nope

[*]362796

Could get good! Whats odd is I know the thought/belief and agree with, but these dudes are the wrong means to an agreed commom end. side note :did'nt mean to do the finger guy. my bad.

Just typed "infrared rejection" into google . 

das film shows up on page 1 ,

v kizzzool  makes a show on page 2 ,

and this little gem HERE

shows up way down on page 5 , right after the FSEC reports  linked by the OP. 

Its a CP auto film introduced in 2001 as IR rejecting, complete with the values posted above.

Lucy got some splainin to do  :thumb

[*]362808

just cant let it go can ya :thumb

Archived