NFRC & glass coatings

Guest metint

Guest vclimber
and this little gem HERE

shows up way down on page 5 , right after the FSEC reports  linked by the OP. 

Its a CP auto film introduced in 2001 as IR rejecting, complete with the values posted above.

Lucy got some splainin to do  :thumb

[*]362808

Isn't that the same incarnation as Vista VS 75 IR?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until all windows related products are part of the NFRC, this argument will go on forever. The film industry needs to be recognized by the NFRC in order to be a viable industry.

Most of what I read, I would agree with. But, these articles were written by the glass industry. This industry is the one who helped write the Texas building specs on new homes. Now the glass organization says low-e does not work for the sun climate, and it is quite possible it will super heat the area. Wow, and I figured that out on the first house I looked at and I am not an engineer :thumb

What we are chasing after is solar, plain and simple. With solar you get IR and IR generates heat inside the home. All heat rejecting films block a percentage of IR. Some do better than others. And some are reflective and some aren't.

Climber also made a very good point, communities do not allow reflective windows. They point out having silver reflective films installed in not allowed, period.

So, you have a customer who has a beautiful home, nice views, and reflective films are not allowed. Looks like there are only two solutions. Could install solar screens and change the appearance of the home and create a lousy way to view outside. Or we can apply a ceramic based film, which rejects more IR and satisfies the customer.

I keep hearing it doesn't work. Yesterday I got a call from a customer in this one subdivision. This will be the 42nd house we have installed with this film. And every one were referrals from someone there. I would not be getting these calls if it didn't work.

Archived