Competitor wanting me to work for them

A local shop that does all the same work I do (tint-vinyl-accessories) stopped into my shop yesterday and wants me to sub-contract for/with them. They supply the film and I do the work, either at my shop or theirs, depending on the time frame and which location has room at the time of the job. How do you guys think I should go about this? Commision for doing work there and a higher commision for doing the work at my place? 2-5 and 4-0? Dunno if ill get in trouble for that?!?! Any suggestions or opinions? Thanx!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A local shop that does all the same work I do (tint-vinyl-accessories) stopped into my shop yesterday and wants me to sub-contract for/with them.  They supply the film and I do the work, either at my shop or theirs, depending on the time frame and which location has room at the time of the job.  How do you guys think I should go about this?  Commision for doing work there and a higher commision for doing the work at my place?  2-5 and 4-0?  Dunno if ill get in trouble for that?!?!  Any suggestions or opinions?  Thanx!

[*]386964

Interesting????.. be careful and don?t lock yourself into anything. Get all your agreements in writing. :bingo:eyebrows

It could be a good thing for a few reasons. 1 your not going to be losing as much work to your competitor. Since you will be getting some of that money in your pocket.

2 you may end up on very good terms with your competitor. Where he would then become an allie.

As far as your thoughts on pay go I would reverse the thought. As in charge him more if your going there. It will after all be easier to do it in your own shop, and have him drop them off and pick them up.

Guest tintguy7

I would tell the competition to refer the clients to you, then pay them a referal fee of 7% or something like that. Why build their business? :eyebrows:bingo

I would tell the competition to refer the clients to you, then pay them a referal fee of 7% or something like that.  Why build their business? :bingo  :eyebrows

[*]386974

True true, but theres not much competition in the area as far as quality of work goes that comes close to compairing to mine (cocky, I know), but once the bigger accounts build up and and walk-ins start realizing that my company vehicle is setting outside with all my info on it, theyre gonna start callin me and getting quotes and ill just lower them and bring them my way. haha. Plus ive only been open since december and its slow for me right now because not to many people know im in ther area yet.

if I were you I would do it. but make it worth your while. try to convince him to just use your film, drop the cars off to you, and just offer him a discounted price. he'll have no upkeep and no inventory to have to keep buying. yeah he'll make less money, but you can also just say no and he'll have to probably stop tinting period. I sub myself out to other shops but only for res. and I charge them a lot more for my time. hey if they are asking the competition, they are already desperate. I also do cars for other shops when they have problems. for cars I charge them my full price. they usually dont care as long as I can get it done right then. desperate to get it done cause they can't do it. bottom line, if their asking you for help they are desperate and you should take advantage of it. youre in this biz for you not them.

if I were you I would do it. but make it worth your while. try to convince him to just use your film, drop the cars off to you, and just offer him a discounted price.  he'll have no upkeep and no inventory to have to keep buying.  yeah he'll make less money, but you can also just say no and he'll have to probably stop tinting period.  I sub myself out to other shops but only for res.  and I charge them a lot more for my time.  hey if they are asking the competition, they are already desperate.  I also do cars for other shops when they have problems.  for cars I charge them my full price.  they usually dont care as long as I can get it done right then.  desperate to get it done cause they can't do it.  bottom line, if their asking you for help they are desperate and you should take advantage of it. youre in this biz for you not them.

[*]386982

VEEEERY good point. Ill try and talk him into using my film and get him to transfer the cars here and pay him a %. 2-5?

I would give him 10%. all the customers will eventually learn that you are doing the work and slowly just come back to you anyway. his price will most likely have to be a little higher than yours so he can still make a profit doing it. when they find out its your work and you do it cheaper if they go directly to you, they will do so and his tint business will slow down. slow down so much that he will be happy that he isnt buying inventory.

I've done a car for all the shops around my area. they are usually corvettes, beetles, or odd cars like crv's and escapes. basically the ones that look easy until you start working on them. I like when they call and say they have an emergency and need me to do this car for them. they bring it over and there are drools all over the car so I know they tried it at least once. when they pick it up they look at it with this dumb look on their face like "how the $%#@ did they do it?". I love that feeling, not to be cocky but it puts them in check. not only do I know we are the best in town; but now THEY know it too.

Archived