Where to buy Film?

Guest SDSoCal

Guest SDSoCal

Is it possible for a consumer to even buy decent film for their home? It is frustrating that the only thing available OTC retail is the stuff described widely here as a stinking pile.

I would really like get my hands on some good rolls, something like Huper Optik, V-Kool, 3M Prestige or MAC. I want as high a performance as possible with as little reflection as possible, so I want the good stuff. I have found prices for Llumar N1065, but that's about it.

My typical MO goes something like:

1. Buy film. :DD

2. Get film home. :?

3. Try to install film. :beer

4. Consult expert to review what went wrong. :beer or :eyebrows

The trouble is, I can't get to 4 without first going through 1-3. It's a personal problem I have.

Guest darkdan

Just pay someone to do it.

Considering you'll most likely have to buy MORE then what you need, chances are you won't save much. Plus, with those types of films, if you throw anything away you just wasted a big chunk of change.

And honestly, have you seen DIY tint jobs on cars? Do you want your home (which is most likely your greatest investment) to look like that?

Guest Readyman
Just pay someone to do it.

Considering you'll most likely have to buy MORE then what you need, chances are you won't save much. Plus, with those types of films, if you throw anything away you just wasted a big chunk of change.

And honestly, have you seen DIY tint jobs on cars? Do you want your home (which is most likely your greatest investment) to look like that?

:eyebrows

Guest vclimber

Part of the reason a consumer cannot buy and install these films themselves is the preservation of the brand name. What would a consumer think of Huper Optik Window Film if they saw a DIYer's hacked up job? They may think that it was more the film than the installer... Would a company be obligated to stand behind a Residential Lifetime warranty if an untrained DIY'er installed their product improperly? What about glass breakage? Should a manufacture honor their glass break warranty if an untrained person installed film on a window that should not have been filmed?

A professional job constists of great film installed by a capable well-trained installer, you can't have one without the other and the manufactures of these high-end films like to have both. :eyebrows

Guest solarspot
Part of the reason a consumer cannot buy and install these films themselves is the preservation of the brand name. What would a consumer think of Huper Optik Window Film if they saw a DIYer's hacked up job? They may think that it was more the film than the installer... Would a company be obligated to stand behind a Residential Lifetime warranty if an untrained DIY'er installed their product improperly? What about glass breakage? Should a manufacture honor their glass break warranty if an untrained person installed film on a window that should not have been filmed?

A professional job constists of great film installed by a capable well-trained installer, you can't have one without the other and the manufactures of these high-end films like to have both. :eyebrows

Well said :beer

Guest SDSoCal

A professional job constists of great film installed by a capable well-trained installer, you can't have one without the other and the manufactures of these high-end films like to have both. :bingo

Sorry, but I don't buy it.

Nobody walking by my windows will know whether I did a crappy job installing Huper Optik or I did a crappy job installing Gila. In fact, since the Huper Optik will probably look better, it is better for the tint industry not to have Gila or some Pep Boys brand on my windows.

I will fully warranty my work against glass breakage and inappropriate installation just like you would. I am insuring myself, so if I break it I replace it. That's a non-issue. I don't expect the manufacturer to support a warranty for incorrect installation. I accept that.

Most people take their cars to professional mechinics, but Infiniti will sell me the parts so I can do it myself. They don't worry that I will screw up and hurt their reputation.

I can hire a professional painter, but I can also paint my own house. The paint companies don't complain.

I probably want to hire a professional mason to build a wall, but I can also buy everything I need, including a top quality professional block system, to build it myself.

I probably want a professional carpet installer to properly fit and install the best wool berber carpet, but the manufacturers have no problem selling me a roll and delivering it to my house for me to deal with.

I can go on and on. Most people want professional help for all of these, but it is still an option to attempt to do it yourself. Why is it different for window film?

Guest vclimber

A professional job constists of great film installed by a capable well-trained installer, you can't have one without the other and the manufactures of these high-end films like to have both. :bingo

Sorry, but I don't buy it.

Nobody walking by my windows will know whether I did a crappy job installing Huper Optik or I did a crappy job installing Gila. In fact, since the Huper Optik will probably look better, it is better for the tint industry not to have Gila or some Pep Boys brand on my windows.

I will fully warranty my work against glass breakage and inappropriate installation just like you would. I am insuring myself, so if I break it I replace it. That's a non-issue. I don't expect the manufacturer to support a warranty for incorrect installation. I accept that.

Most people take their cars to professional mechinics, but Infiniti will sell me the parts so I can do it myself. They don't worry that I will screw up and hurt their reputation.

I can hire a professional painter, but I can also paint my own house. The paint companies don't complain.

I probably want to hire a professional mason to build a wall, but I can also buy everything I need, including a top quality professional block system, to build it myself.

I probably want a professional carpet installer to properly fit and install the best wool berber carpet, but the manufacturers have no problem selling me a roll and delivering it to my house for me to deal with.

I can go on and on. Most people want professional help for all of these, but it is still an option to attempt to do it yourself. Why is it different for window film?

It doesn't matter if you buy my statement or not. I am telling you that is the MFG's reasoning on the matter. They make films for the general public to buy and install themselves, but they also make films for their dealers to sell and install. That is the way they choose to run their businesses.

There are industries that will not sell pro-grade materials to the end user, for instance, can you go purchase and install your own 12 Seer Air conditioner for your home? Can you go out and buy freon to recharge your AC unit? However, you can go to a Homecenter and purchase a scaled down unit and install it in your window because the AC MFG's make a product for you to do that.

A window film dealer will buy thousands of square feet more film than you will each year. So if you were the MFG, who would you sell to? The dealer's customers or the dealer? Window Film MFG's simply have a business model of distribution for their premium lines of films that includes authorized dealers, I doubt it will change anytime soon.

Guest SDSoCal

Actually, yes I can buy a 12 Seer or 13 seer AC unit right now. I can also buy the associated parts to repair it. I replaced my run capacitor just recently. I cannot buy and install freon because I do not have the government mandated collection equipment (and accompanying license) to make sure the freon is not released into the atmosphere. I see no parallel with window film.

I would not expect to pay the same price for a roll of film that a dealer pays. A dealer buys wholesale, and a dealer buys in volume. I understand that.

It won't do a lot of good debating the merits of that business model, so I will refrain. :bingo

Basically, the simple answer is no, a consumer can not buy good film. Right? :shock

We would need a month of Sundays to explain why so to save us the combined grief on this forum, just accept what the previous posters have said.

DWBA.

Archived