2006 Acura TL w/ Nav

Guest dellhomexxx

Guest dellhomexxx

First post. Just like to say that the forum is nice. Some really great articles so far, and it's got me thinking about where to go in Austin.

I've contacted Custom Sounds, and the Pinnacle tint there is going to run about $300-350.. but their 15 year tint "expert" has heard nothing about using moleskin or other felt liners to prevent the vertical scratching. But the guy said they could note my concerns and request on the order form and if the scratches appear they would replace the tint. Of course that doesn't really solve the problem though, the new tint will scratch as well.

I've also called Car Toyz, and they use some other brand of ceramic tint (something Optic), $325, but they also have heard nothing about scratching, but offer no warranty on it.

Then I read that the tinters might bend the gaskets (?). What gaskets are you referring to so I can inspect them.

So, I'm looking for some help on where to go in Austin, and what to look for, and what's a good price.

their 15 year tint "expert" has heard nothing about using moleskin or other felt liners to prevent the vertical scratching. But the guy said they could note my concerns and request on the order form and if the scratches appear they would replace the tint. Of course that doesn't really solve the problem though, the new tint will scratch as well.

If you can get it in writing that it'll be replaced free of charge if scratches occur, then it sounds like problem solved to me :coffee

Guest dellhomexxx
If you can get it in writing that it'll be replaced free of charge if scratches occur, then it sounds like problem solved to me :coffee

I guess I don't think that solves the problem, because the windows will just re-scratch, won't they? And they might just say sorry after that.

Keep searching until you find someone that is familiar with moleskin,having to go back evey 6 months to get your windows retinted even if there is no cost will suck. I can not belive how many tinters are not familair with moleskin :coffee

I would felt it myself...I guess what my point with my previous post is if he found someone experienced that would guarantee him he won't have problems and put it in writing..then he should be OK

Guest dellhomexxx

When you guys refer to bending the gaskets, what are you talking about and where should I look to make sure my window tint guy doesn't do it..

thanks.

First post. Just like to say that the forum is nice. Some really great articles so far, and it's got me thinking about where to go in Austin.

I've contacted Custom Sounds, and the Pinnacle tint there is going to run about $300-350.. but their 15 year tint "expert" has heard nothing about using moleskin or other felt liners to prevent the vertical scratching. But the guy said they could note my concerns and request on the order form and if the scratches appear they would replace the tint. Of course that doesn't really solve the problem though, the new tint will scratch as well.

I've also called Car Toyz, and they use some other brand of ceramic tint (something Optic), $325, but they also have heard nothing about scratching, but offer no warranty on it.

Then I read that the tinters might bend the gaskets (?). What gaskets are you referring to so I can inspect them.

So, I'm looking for some help on where to go in Austin, and what to look for, and what's a good price.

Talk to Jason or Randy at Sunbusters. Good guys who know this business. I know all of the installers there and they do great work.

Guest dellhomexxx
Talk to Jason or Randy at Sunbusters. Good guys who know this business. I know all of the installers there and they do great work.

Changed my appt from Custom Sounds to Sunbusters. Guy wasn't real happy at CS though. But he wasn't going to install moleskins (never heard of it) and was going to trim my mouldings around the rear-quarter windows and trim the guides if he thought it was too tight. Sunbusters was a little more, mostly because of the install cost of the felt, but otherwise about the same cost, and much more knowledgeable.

Interestingly enough, after I called CS back and told them I wanted to cancel, he went on line and contacted his supplier and they told him about several different vehicles that have issues. Apparently he wasn't keeping up to date on the new vehicles.

Mighty glad you responded when you did Tinitman, I think you just saved me a big big headache.

Changed my appt from Custom Sounds to Sunbusters. Guy wasn't real happy at CS though. But he wasn't going to install moleskins (never heard of it) and was going to trim my mouldings around the rear-quarter windows and trim the guides if he thought it was too tight. Sunbusters was a little more, mostly because of the install cost of the felt, but otherwise about the same cost, and much more knowledgeable.

Interestingly enough, after I called CS back and told them I wanted to cancel, he went on line and contacted his supplier and they told him about several different vehicles that have issues. Apparently he wasn't keeping up to date on the new vehicles.

Mighty glad you responded when you did Tinitman, I think you just saved me a big big headache.

Glad I could help.

When in the need for your house or office, give me a shout.

My office is in Cedar Park and spend 90% of our time in north Austin, Round Rock, Cedar Park and Pflugerville.

Archived