good results with dot matrix

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I done a VW Sharan today, whenever I see one on the road thats tinted, its always got a silver band running around the dot matrix, on this one , I flatted the dots wet with window cleaner and a p500 da disc, gave it a clean with the green side of the scourer, dryed it and applied the film, left it on there for 15 mins before pinning out the water. pics052.jpgpics050.jpgpics047.jpgpics046.jpgpics045.jpg

Guest a_e_trey

I dunno I have tryed the ice water trick tryed the mistin with alcohol trick and about 15 others and none work so ill stick to black filler vynle (probibly spelled wrong)

I have also tried several different methods for the matrix, I have found that the problem with these dots is air pulling back in under them. The best success I have had lately aside from sanding and good prep is to allow as much film overlap as possible, this seems to help with air not getting back in between the dots and the glass and causing the whitish appearance... This trick also works very well on the side windows, my shop assistant actually figured this out, I had her practice tinting on some of the quarter glass windows in some 2 door cars, well when she would cut them out she would always cut the pattern way to large, I noticed that once installed, alot of the time the dot edge would actually stick, no silver appearance.. I was like cool, so I tried it on some rear windows where I had room to overlap and it usually works without any additional effort, just install,and your done... I HAVE HOWEVER, had 2 sunfires recently that when they left the shop they looked perfect but after being out in the cold for a few hours the dots started to unstick, not sure why... I guess I need to let them set and dry longer or heat the glass to speed up the drying time, in the summer I will usually just park em in the sun and just let it dry for a while, unsticking never seems to happen when it is warmer outside, I guess the 5 degree temps last week didnt help...

Archived