Calculate film needed for FG

Is there an easy way to calculate how much film is needed for a job, and the best sizes to use?

What I do now is write the sizes of the windows down... and just going by the sizes figure out which box size would be closest to using the least amount of waste. Not very specific.

I'm trying to figure out for a est. I did today.... maybe using Excel or something.

Any suggestions??

Guest haroldshouseoftint

all I do is exactly how you are already doing it, I stock 36 48 60 & 72" rolls in the most popular flavors and I've found I use them all about equally depending on the job. :shoot1

I have not discovered an easier way other than measure and calculate it up in your head

:hmmm

Guest TINTEM

Sungard has a program that will do that Plus more..... got my copy free and with my logo put into the program.

But there is another program out that will do it too

Flat Glass Pro

But I do it the same as you. I didn't like the way those worked....

Guest shaggy0915

I use flat glas pro on a regular basis. It is great for calculating exact sq ft and material needed per job. It also has a built in program to tell you how to cut each piece on the different roll sizes to minimize waste.

Guest Key West
I use flat glas pro on a regular basis. It is great for calculating exact sq ft and material needed per job. It also has a built in program to tell you how to cut each piece on the different roll sizes to minimize waste.

Lets say, for example, you've got 30 windows @ 28x33 ea, and 14 windows 35x 73 each. Will FGP tell you you need 156 feet of a 36" roll or will it tell you you need 85 feet of a 72" roll? Or give you a choice? How well does it maximize film useage? I am thinking of buying it. I have the SunGard version now, but it doesn't do that. It almost always maximises for a 60" roll.

Thats why I like JWF's precut program. They cut to your exact measurements so there isnt any waste. The difference in price is 5 cents per sf as compared to buying it by the roll. It cuts install time down as they ship it to you already rolled ready to hang (each cut).

Guest Key West
all I do is exactly how you are already doing it, I stock 36 48 60 & 72" rolls in the most popular flavors and I've found I use them all about equally depending on the job. :yoda

I have not discovered an easier way other than measure and calculate it up in your head

:please

I can figure out in my head the best way to lay out my cuts on the roll widths, but some times that "most efficient" layout isn't as "convenient" when using a filmhandler.

Thats why I like JWF's precut program. They cut to your exact measurements so there isnt any waste. The difference in price is 5 cents per sf as compared to buying it by the roll. It cuts install time down as they ship it to you already rolled ready to hang (each cut).

Pre-Cutting is not an option for me. I certainly would not pay someone to cut it when I can cut it myself. Custys do change thier minds, and even with a contract or deposit, I just don't want to have film already cut should there be an issue. May work for some :yoda , but not for me.

I use Corel Draw and use a layout that I pre-made and put the pices I need like a puzzle! works for me!

Yeah, I can do that, too. I am just interested to find out if there is a reliable, ACCURATE program to maximize the cutting lay out for use with a film handler. I don't mind a little waste, because I work with a film handler. I can usually do a layout that will reduce waste to a couple of inches here and there, and thats great if I were cutting the film on a table, but it's not always THAT efficient on a filmhandler. I am willing to sacrifice getting efficient use of film to the MAX for the ease of using a 'handler. I figure a relatively generous waste factor in the price.

Also, all that thinking gives me a brain ache!!! I could drive myself nuts getting it down to a half inch of waste. :spit

Archived