Crack in Windshield repair/replace??

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal

:hmmm I get in my car this morning to find about a 3 inch crack coming from the driverside of the windshield...never seen it before and im thinking it was from the body torque when I had to get out this parking lot yesturday and had to take it really sideways to not rub the exhaust pipes or front bumper...both still rubbed by the way :dunno twisted my car like a pretzel and now I have this crack !!! I called an auto glass shop this morning and they said if its bigger than a quarter or in the drivers view they just replace it... F that, I dont have 3 bills to peel out. I've seen repair kits at auto stores but have been lucky enough until now never need one. do they work, are they :eyebrows ?? if this were a tint questions Id say "take it to a pro" but I tryed and they want my money so they'll just replace the whole thing

HELP :lol2 its an 03 dodge intrepid...I'll get pix of the crack uploaded tonight but im hoping to not drive with it to much and fix it

Guest haroldshouseoftint

Take it to a pro :lol2:lol:thumb

I don't know about kits from auto parts stores, but if its from the edge of the window and just one straight line, they should be able to drill it and epoxy it to stop it from spredding any farther :lol2

:bingo:thumb

Dunno about one 3" in length, but under $50 in Dallas to get a crack just starting repaired.

I have done a couple over 12 inches with great success, So 3 inches won't be a problem for a pro out there. :lol2

put tape on it so it dont spread

Trust me, the above won't work. :beer

Probably can be stopped, and filled, but a good chance it will spread later on being that it is on the edge. You probably had a rock chip in the black band, and like you said, the body twisting finally said the big FU. I would take it to a pro, you need a very thin resin to fill a crack, and you need someone who knows how to stop one. I will give you the basic steps so you can ask "How do they stop it?" and compare answers.

To stop a crack, you drill about 1/32-1/16 in front of the crack, about 1/2 way through the first layer of glass. You then insert a metal probe and tap on the back with a nice little tap. This will make a very small bullseye, which typically won't spread and creates a dead-end, in front of the crack. if the crack is touching you go ahead and fill with a very thin resin, if not, you press the inside of the winshield to run it in to the crack and it will stop, then you can fill it.

I've seen repair kits at auto stores but have been lucky enough until now never need one. do they work, are they :lol2 ?? if this were a tint questions Id say "take it to a pro" but I tryed and they want my money so they'll just replace the whole thing

Dude, you should be ashamed of yourself... You know better than that! :lol

I'm not saying you're capable of repairing your windshield, but come on, an auto parts store kit? You might as well sugest it works fine to tint your windows with Gila using that stupid little yellow squeegee they put in the box. :shock

Is there no one in your area that you've done work for that'll hook you up?

Guest fredstinting
mad3.gif I get in my car this morning to find about a 3 inch crack coming from the driverside of the windshield...never seen it before and im thinking it was from the body torque when I had to get out this parking lot yesturday and had to take it really sideways to not rub the exhaust pipes or front bumper...both still rubbed by the way :lol2 twisted my car like a pretzel and now I have this crack !!! I called an auto glass shop this morning and they said if its bigger than a quarter or in the drivers view they just replace it... F that, I dont have 3 bills to peel out. I've seen repair kits at auto stores but have been lucky enough until now never need one. do they work, are they :lol2 ?? if this were a tint questions Id say "take it to a pro" but I tryed and they want my money so they'll just replace the whole thing

HELP :lol2 its an 03 dodge intrepid...I'll get pix of the crack uploaded tonight but im hoping to not drive with it to much and fix it

in florida it a law that when the windshield is cracked your insurance my fix it a no coast or harm to your insurance

maybe where you live you have the same thing but always get the solicitor call my shop asking if I have any cars in my shop with cracked windsheilds

they would send a guy out for no charge just need my insurace info.

:dunno I get in my car this morning to find about a 3 inch crack coming from the driverside of the windshield...never seen it before and im thinking it was from the body torque when I had to get out this parking lot yesturday and had to take it really sideways to not rub the exhaust pipes or front bumper...both still rubbed by the way :dunno twisted my car like a pretzel and now I have this crack !!! I called an auto glass shop this morning and they said if its bigger than a quarter or in the drivers view they just replace it... F that, I dont have 3 bills to peel out. I've seen repair kits at auto stores but have been lucky enough until now never need one. do they work, are they :gay ?? if this were a tint questions Id say "take it to a pro" but I tryed and they want my money so they'll just replace the whole thing

HELP :dunno its an 03 dodge intrepid...I'll get pix of the crack uploaded tonight but im hoping to not drive with it to much and fix it

in florida it a law that when the windshield is cracked your insurance my fix it a no coast or harm to your insurance

maybe where you live you have the same thing but always get the solicitor call my shop asking if I have any cars in my shop with cracked windsheilds

they would send a guy out for no charge just need my insurace info.

usually if you take the insurance route you gotta pay your deductible. I would prolly take that route. As for the auto parts store stuff...like somebody else said, compair it to gila lol Also just about all the stuff they have is to fix bullseyes or chips in the glass. I used to work at Advance Auto Parts

Archived