I hate tiniting older cars.. Gota question guys.

Guest VR6freak

Guest VR6freak

Hey guys, happy teusday.....Gota question. Every so often, I get a car that just fights me and it usually involves trimming around an older style window with the big rubber outter seal. I put limo on the rear of an 83 rabbit gti and it took a few times to get it without a gap on one part or another. Seems super hard to get a perfect cut on these kind of windows cause there are no straight lines and the outer seal is way thicker then the inside one... :beer Sometimes have this on truck rear sliders to............

Any tips?

Thanks, hope I explained it ok... :beer

paper%20006.jpg

IMO, sometimes on an old arse, crusty, busted all to hell rig, it is better to leave a teeny gap on a rubber set window, rather than have a dirty install. Maybe try cutting the film exact on the outside, meaning don't shift the film to over size, or just over size one edge, trim the rubber and install. On some older vehicles, this is very effective because for one, you can't see the tiny gap from the outside, and two, the seat is higher than the bottom of the window so it isn't visiable if you place the gap on the bottom edge.

I personally would rather have my vehicle dirt free with a teeny gap, than have no gap and the edges look like the Milky Way. :beer

Or just charge more....problem solved. That's my therory, and it works. :beer

take the windows out. if the rubber is old tell the customer. is not worth the headache trying to tint some windows with some foacked up gaskets. take them out and put new rubbers is needed. :beer

Do you really think someone who owns a 83 rabbit is going to pay to have new gaskets installed just to get his windows tinted? The new gaskets would be worth more than the car. :beer

Guest Key West
Hey guys, happy teusday.....Gota question. Every so often, I get a car that just fights me and it usually involves trimming around an older style window with the big rubber outter seal. I put limo on the rear of an 83 rabbit gti and it took a few times to get it without a gap on one part or another. Seems super hard to get a perfect cut on these kind of windows cause there are no straight lines and the outer seal is way thicker then the inside one... :beer Sometimes have this on truck rear sliders to............

Any tips?

Thanks, hope I explained it ok... :beer

paper%20006.jpg

Sometimes...... ya just GOTTA say no!!!! :nuts:lol

First, do not wet the gaskets, mask it off with tape. then proceed as usual. By taping the gaskets you are taping the dirt. Cut the film exact, not larger than the window. If there is anywhere you see a hair of light use a marker (this is why they make them :thumb)

Do you really think someone who owns a 83 rabbit is going to pay to have new gaskets installed just to get his windows tinted? The new gaskets would be worth more than the car. :lol2

I've put ceramic window film on a old cars more than once I woudnt be surprised. never ever have a put more than expensive film on new cars :thumb

Guest Tintin' Magician

But why, I've got a 95 Rodeo and I wouldn't have paid to put film on there! :poop I damn sure wouldn't have paid to put ceramic on there! :thumb I didn't even pay to put ceramic on my Tiburon, I was in good with distributor and he did it for me as a favor! :lol2

Archived