state tint laws

big money

I know you guys know I have something else up my sleeve, so here it is.

If you live in a state that has lax tint laws, but border a state with tougher laws, whats to stop us from tinting them to our state law?

Why do we have to follow each states laws? Isnt this up to the customer? In this state, until recently, tatoos were illegal, but we could go to a border state and get one. The tatoo parlor doesnt care what the law is else where, only that they are following there own laws.

Seems to me that if a customer wants to travel to another state to have there stuff done to a level that is not legal in there state, its there responsibility, right. :dunno

Guest Key West

If you live in a state that has lax tint laws, but border a state with tougher laws, whats to stop us from tinting them to our state law?

Why do we have to follow each states laws? Isnt this up to the customer? In this state, until recently, tatoos were illegal, but we could go to a border state and get one. The tatoo parlor doesnt care what the law is else where, only that they are following there own laws.

Seems to me that if a customer wants to travel to another state to have there stuff done to a level that is not legal in there state, its there responsibility, right. :lol2

I was in that position until a year ago. Georgia had repealed their tint laws, and for a while at least, there was none. I can knock a golf ball into Tennessee from my shop!! Business was good for a while. BUT, I always explained that they were on thier own once across the state line. I also advised Georgia residents of the impending re-enactment, and what it would cost to strip and re-tint. No, you are not required to follow any laws except the laws of the state you are physically in. (Legally) (Morally :lol ) People who come across state lines know what they are doing. They want dark tint, and go where they can get it. Now Goergia has re-enacted their tint laws, so we follow them :dunno Business is still good, 'cuz they (Ga ) are cracking down and we no longer have to discount removal. It costs as much if not more to get a car stripped than it does to tint it!!! :lol:lol:) (which is as it SHOULD be!!)

Guest Key West
I would say that a car should be done to the law that it is registered in.

I'm glad you don't write the laws. I follow the laws, but do not turn down money. If a Tennessean came to me for dark tint (moot point now) he'd get it. as long as it's legal on my l'il peice of geowgia, it's all good. I don't care if the cops were waiting at the state line, the custy knew what they were doin'!! Especially after I reiterated it!

My wife liked your statement and said your evil :lol6:dunno:lol6

Tell yer wife I said "Thank you Maam!!" :dunno

Guest Key West
I would say that a car should be done to the law that it is registered in.

OK, following that logic, lets say that I get a custy from Fla. Do I tint it to Fla specs(28/15) or Ga laws(32/32) If I did it to Fla specs, I risk my liscense, fines, and possible jail. NO!! If I want dark tint, I drive to Fla and take my chances upon return. (Or do it my self!! :dunno )

Guest haroldshouseoftint

Seems to me that if a customer wants to travel to another state to have there stuff done to a level that is not legal in there state, its there responsibility, right. :lol6

OK I'm in AZ and used to work for dealerships (whitch would do "whatever" to make the customer happy) had a "snowbird" from Iowa :lol I think, been a while, want his new car tinted @ the dealer, No Problem.

I asked from the get go as I saw his plate from another state, hey law is differant in his state, the service writer told me to STFU and do my job, OK did it to AZ law 35% front 5% rears.

about 4 months later, after it started to get hot in AZ the customer went back home and with in a week got a ticket whitch he promptley bus rolled the dealership I was at, wanting the "tinter" who didn't know how to do his job properly to pay the fine, and the bill to have it R & R'd :dunno:lol6 I went right up to the service writer and told him to KMA he could pay this and don't EVER question me or tell me how to do my job again.

:dunno for what its worth from my experiance with this matter :lol6

Guest Key West
OK I'm in AZ and used to work for dealerships (whitch would do "whatever" to make the customer happy) had a "snowbird" from Iowa :beer I think, been a while, want his new car tinted @ the dealer, No Problem.

I asked from the get go as I saw his plate from another state, hey law is differant in his state, the service writer told me to STFU and do my job, OK did it to AZ law 35% front 5% rears.

about 4 months later, after it started to get hot in AZ the customer went back home and with in a week got a ticket whitch he promptley bus rolled the dealership I was at, wanting the "tinter" who didn't know how to do his job properly to pay the fine, and the bill to have it R & R'd :inot :lol I went right up to the service writer and told him to KMA he could pay this and don't EVER question me or tell me how to do my job again.

:lol2 for what its worth from my experiance with this matter :lol2

It's a double edged sword. But as long as you tint it legal in the state you are in, you are OK. Tintman, that Custy should have checked his tint laws, or waited 'till he got back to Iowa to tint. You did nothing wrong. The dealership asked you to tint it, you did, and IF there is any liability, it's on the dealership. If I buy a car in Cali, can they legally tint the car to GA specs? NO! All tint laws that I have read specifically include a section that deals with application. Here in Ga it says that applying film not in compliance with Ga law is a class 1 misdemeanor. :lol2

well, we all know PA law sucks. in PA, tint is an equipment violation, so it doesn't matter WHERE your car is registered, it cannot be operated in PA with tint on it. so you can be cited. just like if you have a brake light out. doesn't happen often, though.

Archived