Where you buying Film?

Guest gregppf

The old stuff did but the new stuff is quite a bit nicer and peels much better. The 3M may have more orange peel than the other big name film but it will look good after a year without having to clean and wax it non-stop. Something most customers are not going to do.

actually I have experienced yellowing with the new film inside of 6 months..

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a buddy that is a direct buyer from 3M...I buy from him most of the time.

Colorado and Arizona for the most part....whoever has the best price for what I'm looking for.

I have worked with Clearshield....nice product. I have also gotten a nice sample from Avery...I have yet to use it but I'v heard good things about it. I am also waiting on a sample of the new llumar ppf...It's suppose to be pretty nice stuff... :cold

:lol

Kit or bulk you will need to cut on paint somewhere along , I do a large amount of rear [wheel to wheel] rear bumpers and big M wins in the bulk dept. Bek a runner up. the others look great hood wraps [bIG A/ Big X].... Stock them all

actually I have experienced yellowing with the new film inside of 6 months..

Are you using Plexus or something similar on there?? We never use any of that sort of stuff and never have problems with the yellowing issue with 3M film (I have seen other films yellow but to be fair I dont know what may have been used on them).

Hands down 3M has the longevity & durability that no other Film company can show me that they can compete. What I have found is that the main reason that people switch to Venture or Avery is to cut down on install time. Not a good enough reason to switch for me. Quality and durability are a big thing to me, and to know they are not going to return because the matreial won't hold up. Same thing with Xpel launching their own film, where is the R&D? It would cost alot of money to start up a plant to make your own film??????? I guess I would rather take my time and know I just installed a great product that has been around since the 60's and has a great track record rather than cutting my install time by a hour to half hour.

Sorry I think this R and D thing is a bit of a red herring it took 3M 3 goes to get SGH right over a 7 month period, for various reasons, Lumps in the adhesive, excessive orange peel, dirt in the film variations in the properties. There were problems with other peoples films as well which were well documented on the old forum here and elsewhere. In truth the current film has not been around since the sixties as anyone who has used both know SGH is a completely different animal to the old Scotchcal. So you start from zero with any new film imho.

AS for all this speculation about the XPEL plant and funding and stuff MMM who says they have to create one from scratch?

Do you build your own car from scratch or do you go out and buy one?

There are lots of ways you can make six with this one but it doesnt really mean very much in truth, basically is the film good to work with or not? Do you get callbacks or not? because of the raw material and what will the film manufacturer do should you get a raw material callback, is all that really matters in the bigger picture.

Are you using Plexus or something similar on there?? We never use any of that sort of stuff and never have problems with the yellowing issue with 3M film (I have seen other films yellow but to be fair I dont know what may have been used on them).

I recommend plexus to my customers but I cant really confirm if they use it...

the only film I havent seen yellow is clearshield

I recommend plexus to my customers but I cant really confirm if they use it...

the only film I havent seen yellow is clearshield

That would make sense (I could be wrong here) I understand that the clearshield film is a vinyl based substrate whereas all the others are PU plexus only seems to affect PU as far as I am aware.

:mellow:

Archived