Where you buying Film?

Guest gregppf

Yeah Avery is harsh too, I have removed Avery only a few times but nothing big like a full hood or bumper so I can't compare the two but I could imagine how bad it gets. I don't know why but 3m makes my hands burn from pulling it off and I swear it doesn't strech coming off :bingo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest qatinstaller

Marco, when you are removing 3M do you just pull it off, or do you stretch it off, we stretch (pull film towards you) and it kinda "pops" off, usually doing it this way leaves very little glue. It does need to be on a warm day or warm surface though.

I'm not sure what you mean by stretch or pull off but I pull it off towards me (how else can you do it?) as close to itself as possible on a hot day baked in the sun preferably, when it's cold I wait til the car warms up from the engine then turn the furnace up. On full hoods I go piece by piece, it's easier to cut strips than pull the whole thing at one time then follow with every adhesive remover known to man....oooh that my totw :beer I usually roll the film into a ball it's easier to pull.

Ever try standing on a bumper holding on to the film leaning back as far as you can?, doesn't help but that's how hard it is to remove 3M no kidding I'm gonna have to get a video :gasp

This car took about three hours to strip and get the glue off, and thats with two people. The film was about 6 months old, maybe it gets easier the older it is :dunno:gasp

3mremoval.jpg

Guest qatinstaller

What I mean by pulling it towards you is pull it parallel to the car (don't fold film 180 degrees) if you are standing on the driver side of car, peel up the corner of film on the drivers side and pull towards the driver side. I hope I am explaining it ok (cause now I'm kinda confused) but the film ends up stretching (sometimes to the point of breaking) off of the car. Ever removed the 3M double sided sticky tape?? same thing stretch it off!

Guest qatinstaller

What I mean by pulling it towards you is pull it parallel to the car (don't fold film 180 degrees) if you are standing on the driver side of car, peel up the corner of film on the drivers side and pull towards the driver side. I hope I am explaining it ok (cause now I'm kinda confused) but the film ends up stretching (sometimes to the point of breaking) off of the car. Ever removed the 3M double sided sticky tape?? same thing stretch it off!

oops, sry :beer

if you are standing on the driver side of car, peel up the corner of film on the drivers side and pull towards the driver side.

exactly....pull up and stretch towards you. don't stretch it over the top of itself towards you. stretch towards you pulling over the area the film just came up from. that one is kinda tough to explain :beer

It's kinda hard to do that with some cars, I see what your saying, yeah easy on a Porsche, rough with a Lexus or Corvette hood, I'm not tall in case you didn't know :beer

Marco, when you are removing 3M do you just pull it off, or do you stretch it off, we stretch (pull film towards you) and it kinda "pops" off, usually doing it this way leaves very little glue. It does need to be on a warm day or warm surface though.

Is that Aerospace or Sgh, if it was SGH it should come off in about five minutes on a full hood and fender install without leaving any glue behind at all and thats on a COLD car.

Incidentally if it went Yellow I would file a warranty claim. I have never seen 3M yellowing like some people claim (unless it was aerospace film and that will yellow as you put it on) :beer

Archived