Video for the rookies .....

Guest JTKSDB

Man, you young pups!

Back in the day there was no shrinking. And it's a good thing there wasn't cause it was way hotter back then and that heat gun woulda just got thrown out. It was also uphill to work both ways in 10 feet of snow on a hot august morning. :beer

I will argue the fact of not seaming along the defroster instead of the straight pieces, but I remember a certain "sunglasses" guy in my area that used to do it in straight pieces all the time. Did alot of work, and it was clean too. I kinda admired him for doing things his way and convincing his customers that it was the right way.

You kids these days got it easy. With the internet you can learn all the little tricks, that us old folks came up with, in an instant. We had to figure them out on our own. Or we had a few others in our information circles we could "CALL ON THE PHONE" if we got stuck. There was no "Tip of the Week" to keep us ahead in the game. There were no picture phone captures to show someone exactly what you are talking about shot accross the country or the world in less than a minute. Not that I would change anything or that I am not happy things are the way they are. Some times us old folks get a tip or two from here as well. :beer

Back then you either had it, or you didn't. If you didn't we never saw you again until you came in two years later to get your car tinted. LOL

Come on veterans.....YOU KNOW I'M RIGHT.

Oh well, that video is some funny stuff. Only cause I have been there and done that. Not many of you can say that, so watch your attitude towards that kind of work.........it is, after all, where your job came from. :mad

did a camaro glass in about 6 strips......before I had any idea about what tinting was in a professional way. I had no idea that the film was able to lay on that glass without shrinking.....nor had I even heard of using a heat gun to shrink film.....

I once did the back sides of an old Probe in like 1.5 to 2" strips....now that was interesting. I would tint something for like $10 if they brought the film...I figured I was making $10. It was in 1989 to 1990.....before I knew ANYTHING.......

anyway, I can relate to the seaming film.

I did do my 1996 2 door Cavalier without shrinking film and seemed it on the defrosters.....would have left it but for "tiger striping" that happened on the old DIY sungard film I had used....good old JC Whitney....

Man, you young pups!

Back in the day there was no shrinking. And it's a good thing there wasn't cause it was way hotter back then and that heat gun woulda just got thrown out. It was also uphill to work both ways in 10 feet of snow on a hot august morning. :beer

I will argue the fact of not seaming along the defroster instead of the straight pieces, but I remember a certain "sunglasses" guy in my area that used to do it in straight pieces all the time. Did alot of work, and it was clean too. I kinda admired him for doing things his way and convincing his customers that it was the right way.

You kids these days got it easy. With the internet you can learn all the little tricks, that us old folks came up with, in an instant. We had to figure them out on our own. Or we had a few others in our information circles we could "CALL ON THE PHONE" if we got stuck. There was no "Tip of the Week" to keep us ahead in the game. There were no picture phone captures to show someone exactly what you are talking about shot accross the country or the world in less than a minute. Not that I would change anything or that I am not happy things are the way they are. Some times us old folks get a tip or two from here as well. :mad

Back then you either had it, or you didn't. If you didn't we never saw you again until you came in two years later to get your car tinted. LOL

Oh well, that video is some funny stuff. Only cause I have been there and done that. Not many of you can say that, so watch your attitude towards that kind of work.........it is, after all, where your job came from. :mad

this guy must be the guy in the video ... awfully offended it seems! :beer:mad

Guest haroldshouseoftint
Man, you young pups!

Back in the day there was no shrinking. And it's a good thing there wasn't cause it was way hotter back then and that heat gun woulda just got thrown out. It was also uphill to work both ways in 10 feet of snow on a hot august morning. :mad

:mad 10 ft of snow, up hill both ways :mad did you live in the desert, I had to go through 25' of snow, up 3 mountains both ways to work :beer:beer

and yep, you are right :lol2:lol2

Archived