what am i doing wrong?

Guest vital

been training for a few weeks and today I was trying to heatshrink a rear window and came up with a some creases after hours of shrinking =(

everytime when I heat up those large fingers that starts branching out throughout the middle I get a crease when I swipe my hardcard down on it...

I don't know if my problem is that I'm not heating it long enough, I'm not using the right tool, or am I suppose to break down the large fingers into smaller fingers first before I heat it?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 2BLACKTINT

:rollin I BELEIVE THAT IT FIRST STARTS WITH THE FILM U R USING.

IF NOT THEN IT THE WAY THAT U LAY THE FILM ONTO THE WINDOW.

WHEN HEAT SHRINKING U MUST FIRST HAVE A PLAN OF ATTACK: LAY IT AND THEN START IN THE MIDDLE AND LIFT ONE SIDE WITH THE OPPOSITE HAND AND WITH UR TOOL STROKE FROM THE MIDDLE TO ONE SID AND THEN THE OTHER. THIS GIVES U A EVEN FINGER TO WORK WITH ON THE TOP AND THE BOTTEM.

TAKE THE TOOL THEN STROKE DOWN PUSHING THE WATER UNDER THE FILM TO THE EDGE. I USED TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM TILL I BECAME MORE PATIENT WITH THE FILM. WHEN IT STARTS TO SHRINK IN A TIMLEY FASHION STAY CENTERED ON THE FINGER, SOMETIMES I EVEN CATCH MYSELF GOING TO THE SIDE TO AVOID A CREESE. MAINLY BE PATIENT AND UR CONFIDENCE WILL KICK IN. GOOD ;UCK HOPE THE INSITE HELPS. KEEP ON KEEPEN ON. :thumb

Guest Sprinter

are you doing it wet or dry? hope your not working on one piece of tint for 2 hours? read everything you can on heatshriking on this site, there are numerouse topics on here? you said you were training, yourself or is someone showing you?

Guest Me_shelli

Check how high you've got your heat gun. You might try turning you're heat gun down on the lowest setting. It will take longer to shrink, but it will help you learn how hot you can get your film. also don't work on one finger the whole time heat one of a while then more to another for a while and come back to the first one after it's cooled. Tint will shrink a little more once it's cooled. After you have done a few glasses effectively you can turn your heat gun up a little more. This will increase your speed. But it is alot easier to start off slow, till you get the hang of it. :rollin

Archived