Commercial vehicles Ohio

Jeffksf

So the excavating company I work for has all their trucks tinted dark and the one city they all drive thru to get to the shop has a cop that doesn't like our tint. Most of the guys in the shop always thought Commercial vehicles were exempt from non-comm. tint laws.

I've done a limited search on the states site and it doesn't mention anything about commercial vehicles in the tint laws.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Guest haroldshouseoftint

not sure on Ohio, but in AZ where ever the vehicle (commercial/private) is registered at is what law you follow, now if it is registered in AZ but travels out of state (semi's/big rigs) it falls under federal law which is 70% net for big rigs. That is per the Arizona Department of Public Saftey (highway patrol) so I would check with your local highway patrol, they should be able to tell you.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction. :lol2

BTW :lol2 to the board

OK so I got an e-mail back from the state of Ohio, all vehicles are governed by the tint law, Commercial or non-commercial doesn't matter. Here is my question and response.

> Email Address: Jeffksf@hotmail.com

> Question/Comment: I reviewed and understand Ohio's tint law but would

> like to know if this applies to all registered vehicles? (I.e. commercial

> vehicles)

> Thanks, Jeff Bryda

Ohio's "tint law" applies to all vehicles including commercial motor vehicles. HOWEVER, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) also may apply to a commercial motor vehicle depending on several factors and the FMCSRs are more restrictive than Ohio's law. The following is taken from section 393.60 of the FMCSR:

(d) Coloring or tinting of windshields and windows. Coloring or tinting of windshields and the windows to the immediate right and left of the driver is allowed, provided the parallel luminous transmittance through the colored or tinted glazing is not less than 70 percent of the light at normal incidence in those portions of the windshield or windows which are marked as having a parallel luminous transmittance of not less than 70 percent. The transmittance restriction does not apply to other windows on the commercial motor vehicle.

You must comply with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations if any of the following apply:

1. You operate, in interstate commerce (in/out of Ohio), a vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 10,000 pounds;

2. You operate, in intrastate commerce (just within Ohio), as a FOR-HIRE MOTOR CARRIER and use a vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 10,000 pounds;

3. You operate, in intrastate commerce, as a PRIVATE MOTOR CARRIER (hauling your own freight on you own vehicle) and use a vehicle that has gross vehicle weight rating greater than 26,000 pounds;

4. You operate, in intrastate commerce, as a private motor carrier and use a COMBINATION of vehicles that has a gross combination weight rating greater than 26,000 pounds PROVIDED the gross vehicle weight rating is greater than 10,000 pounds; or

5. You use any size of vehicle(s), in any type of commerce (inter- or intra-state) as any type of motor carrier (for-hire or private), to transport hazardous materials of the type or quantity that requires placarding.

The following link will take you to the Highway Patrol's Truck Drivers Guidebook.

http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/operationaluni...cs/TDGB2007.pdf

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

James R. Feddern

Ohio State Highway Patrol

Motor Carrier Enforcement Manager

Office of Licensing and Commercial Standards

1970 West Broad Street

Columbus, OH 43223

Phone: 614-466-3682

FAX: 614-752-0243

E-mail: jfeddern@dps.state.oh.us

Archived